Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Here's some stuff I shot over the last couple of weekends. I took a bunch of different shots and I was trying something different with color and HDR. I think I'm close to something good but I'm not sure I really accomplished what I was shooting for. There is a view in my head that I just can quite zero in on, but here are some first attempts.

I think I need to turn the camera on it's side and shoot this view as a panorama to really get the detail and look I want.

From the very top of the Humboldt Park electrical substation around 6:30am this past Saturday morning

D3S_0675_HDR_1.jpg

A high key processing approach to the same shot similar to what most of the fine art guys use for their prints:
D3S_0675_HDR_1_BW_HK.jpg

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
D3S_0660_HDR_1.jpg

D3S_0660_HDR_BW_1.jpg

D3S_0661_HDR.jpg

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
D3S_0663_HDR_1a.jpg

D3S_0671_HDR_1.jpg

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
In front of the West Loop substation a week ago Saturday around 6:15 am

D3S_0606_HDR_BW_1.jpg

(Here's the color version just for comparision)

D3S_0606_HDR.jpg

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
outstanding photos!! really... :cool:

ok, from the first set (view over the city), at first look, i like better the second pic. first i really like the slight tele view, not so wide that looses the far detail on smaller prints as in nº 4, wich actually, the more i look for, the more i like!

the nº 7 is very close to what i regularly see on large print framed pictures selling at large decoration and furniture shops (ikea comes to mind, don´t know if there are some at usa).

last two, between color and b/w... two very different photos. i guess is the sky that makes the color one have more visually impact.

is this chicago??

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
I like the B&W's now all I need is to find some old gangster cars to paste in 

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Look very closely at the last pic...........I think you can see a flying bullet! ;) (probably from that car ellandoh is looking for)

I'm really partial the the b&w ones, the one in the second set and the ground level ones being my favorites.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
helio lucas said:
is this chicago??

Thanks for the feedback Helio, yes this is Chicago. I work for the power company and I am called out to lots of different areas at all hours of the day and night. I long ago learned to take my camera with my just in case a good view presented itself.

whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Is the first set, morning dew, or smog making the buildings blue? That is why I like #4.

Bob - The blue tone is a combination of manipulating the white balance and the HDR settings.

Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Very nice stuff Rich. I like the blue tones also.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
High Lord Gomer said:
I like how you were able to change a picture of modern Chicago to one of Chicago 80 years ago and then to one of Gotham City. :)

I%27mBatman.jpg

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I really like the last picture. The diagonal leading lines just pull me right into the picture. I like that the lines pull you into a specific point in the photo and it just happens to be a detour sign. It's almost like it's pulling you in to say you need to go somewhere else. Another winner, Rich!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Thanks Kawi, and everyone else.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
High Lord Gomer said:
Rich has no class. :p

I'm glad someone has finally given me the credit I so richly deserve! :worship:

Dirtjunkie85 said:
Did you go to a class or something to learn how to do this?

To actually answer your question, I just picked it up as I went along like most people. I try to read as much as I can about the technical aspects of photography and then just take pictures that I like.

Last edited:
Top Bottom