rybo3

Jun 13, 2002
took my son and a friend down to renton motorsports this afternoon to look at bikes and watch people ride. they have an indoor track there. it is really cool. ( but LOUD) anyway's, we are sitting in the stands as they let the 85cc experts out, and this kid (#615) proceeds to kill the track. i couldn't believe how fast this kid was going. it was ryan villopoto.( see him in your thor catalog)

and if him on his 85cc wasn't enough, he proceeded to go out on his xr50, in green, and jump every double and pass every bike big or small. and he wasn't riding it with the beginers either. there is no doubt in my mind that he would smoke me on my kx 250, with him on his 50.( i know that isn't saying very much.)

simply amazing!

my question to the masses is: other than being a great rider, do you think that riding an 85 indoors on a small track is an advantage over riding a big bike?

i think it is.

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
Good post.

I know what you mean. In '01 Ryan Huges showed up at a local track, and this past year the Alessi's showed up (Log Road in Michigan). Makes your jaw drop to see them at the same time as normal riders.

I think an 85 could be an advatage on some indoor tracks, but a definite minus in the whoops. But with a rider of that caliber, when compared to the local yokels, it really doesn't matter!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
The shorter wheelbase on smaller bikes can make them much easier in whoops if spaced such that they can double or triple through. Smaller bikes are at a definite disadvantage if the riders are good enough (or the spacing is right) to get up on top and skim the whoops.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Well AJ rides everything between a XR120 powered CR85 to a CR500AF and is stupid fast on them all. Maybe being a smaller rider is better :laugh: Sort of like horse jockeys?

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
The only advantage of that 85 is that it's got Villapoto on it. I've seen him ride (on TV only), and he's very smooth, keeps it very low, etc. However, remember that Alessi whooped him (last year) every race. But then again, Alessi's now out running Hare Scrambles and other Desert races and battling it back and forth with Destry Abbott. Alessi is the next Bubba. :silly: Ryan is the next Alessi. Isn't all this ignorant speculation great?

MXboy00

Jul 3, 2003
I myself got to get lapped (Err...over and over again) by Jason Lawrence on his factory-backed Suzuki RM85 and RM100. I rode a RM100 all summer (Stock). He lives in NJ so that explains why i've ran into him at Englishtown, NJ and Jackfrost, PA. He too is incredible smooth. The only thing with these kids is, from what i've seen...the parents are out there on the bleachers yelling at them constantly. They tape-record their kid's laps, time them, and if the kids lap's are 2-3 seconds slower than the previous seasons (At that track) the parents blast them. It seems that the parents do even take into account that the track layout was changed slightly. I see this alot in the fast kids. Maybe that's why i'm only a "good" rider and not an excellent one...because my parents don't threaten me. I saw a video of Ryan Villopoto on transworldmotocross.com a while back, and I must agree, he hauls. I saw Bubba at the Kawasaki Race of Champions in Englishtown, NJ when he was still with Team Green riding mini's. IMO, even then he made the Alessi's look meadiocur (sp?)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Here is my non-scientific approach to measure rider speed.

In a 30 minute moto on a track with two minute lap times, the local pro hot shoe could lap the typical 'average' rider at least twice.

If a national top 20 privateer showed up at the same track, he'd probably lap the local pro twice.

If RC or Bubba were there,  they would lap the top 20 privateer twice. 

So go out there for your next moto and try to envision someone turning in 6+ more laps than you in a single moto.    That's how fast Bubba and RC are.  :eek:

Top Bottom