dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Does anybody know how to run a VIN. I’ve been to a lot of VIN check type websites, but I keep getting error messages with the VIN. The bike is a Gas Gas XC300 and from what I’ve seen elsewhere, the VIN follows the style used by GG. I’ve got till Sunday night to determine if the bike is clean and free of lien. The owner never got a title or bill of sale, but didn’t need it for his area. I’m from NC and back when I was younger we never had titles on our MX bike, just a hand written bill of sale. My problem now is that I live in Calif, and DMV is very sticky on the registration process. I’d hate to get the bike ship it, take it to DMV or CHP for VIN verification, only to find that they keep the bike due to problems with past ownership. I guess I should lookup and contact some bond agencies and see what my options are too, but it’s the weekend and my time is running out.

Thanks for any help

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Ed.

I will call Elk and alert him to your posts. PM or email your phone # to me and I will pass it along.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
dingoe said:
Does anybody know how to run a VIN. I’ve been to a lot of VIN check type websites, but I keep getting error messages with the VIN. The bike is a Gas Gas XC300 and from what I’ve seen elsewhere, the VIN follows the style used by GG. I’ve got till Sunday night to determine if the bike is clean and free of lien. The owner never got a title or bill of sale, but didn’t need it for his area. I’m from NC and back when I was younger we never had titles on our MX bike, just a hand written bill of sale. My problem now is that I live in Calif, and DMV is very sticky on the registration process. I’d hate to get the bike ship it, take it to DMV or CHP for VIN verification, only to find that they keep the bike due to problems with past ownership. I guess I should lookup and contact some bond agencies and see what my options are too, but it’s the weekend and my time is running out.

Thanks for any help

Should be able to call the local police and have them run the VIN.. might cost 5 or 10 bucks, but it's worth it.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
IndyYZ85 said:
Should be able to call the local police and have them run the VIN.. might cost 5 or 10 bucks, but it's worth it.

Elk is the local police. ;) And he pays us to let him do it. :laugh: :coocoo:

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Well I just got off the phone with the local Sheriffs office and the VIN would not run. I told him the bike was out of Spain and he said providing the owner has the correct VIN than that would explain it. Looks like if I get it, I’ll have to go the CHP route to establish VIN and have to get a Bond.

I think I’m going to pass, unless the first owner can be located and I can get a Bill of Sale directly from him.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Got it Ed.

Left a message on his voice mail.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Is the bike currently in the US or are you buying it from a guy in Spain?

If it is in the US and does not come back with any info it could be 2 things:
1) it is not reported by VIN # as stolen (good thing)
2) it was owned in a state like Wis where only vehicle for road use are registerred and therefor not on the computer system.

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Oldguy, It's Ohio and as of '99 according to Ohio DMV you would register it only if you intended to ride on Federal or State lands. I just got another email for the present owner and he doesn’t have any first owner info, not even his name. I guess that not unusual, I only have prior owner names because I have a bill or sale or other documentation. Due to the fact that he never intended to register it he didn’t care if he had the paperwork. The present owner does have a blank bill of sale from the Gas Gas co. that is somewhat like any DMV “Bill of Sale” where you fill in the VIN and motor number, date of sale, and price paid. Maybe with that and no record in the system it would go through. I can just see CA DMV searching for the VIN not getting anything and then that starts the long process of getting it in. In the long run it may not be worth it.

It’s too bad, it was a nice bike and just full restored for racing.

Thanks for the input.

Ed

Top Bottom