cleopatrisha

Dec 16, 2006
I bought a set of fenders and side panels for my 1979 CR125 from DC Plastics and what an unfriendly fit the front fender went on ok but the rear fender and the side panels thats another story I had to grind plastic off. the indentations where the holes are to be drilled are not centered with the bolt holes on the bike and they are paper thin so I had to reinforce with epoxy when I finally got them on they still do not look right so I am asking anyones advice on where I can find new plastics that acually do fit without any hassle.

y2kz71

Jun 11, 2007
Have you tried vintageiron (may be the same panels)

I was lucky with my 1979 RM400, Suzuki still sells NOS front number plate, front fender and side panels so I got those. However they dont sell the rear fender. I just ordered the rear fender from DC plastics yesterday so now you have me worried.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Vintageiron panels are supposedly waaay better than DCs, according to the reviews I see on the vintage forums. DC is helpful in many cases where you absolutely can't find another distributor, but a lot of the reviews are very similar to the one above.

drgriffi1

May 24, 2007
Just got my new side pieces from DC Plastics. I can not be more pleased. Despite having to redrill holes a little bigger, I am very happy with the quality. And they are really durable, yet lightweight plastic. A lot stronger than the stock.

cleopatrisha

Dec 16, 2006
Must have got a bad batch

My DC Plastics did not fit very well but I did get them to work with a little extra grinding they are 1979 not 1980 which are totally different.and I was disappointed because the places where you drill out the bolt holes were very thin where as the rest of the plastic was as thick as it should be. I would rather have the bolt hole areas thicker for stregth since my dirt bike gets hard riding. I may add that I had to grind a bunch of plastic off to have clerarance for the stock shocks to freely go up and down.

drgriffi1

May 24, 2007
So it sounds like you got plastics for the 1980. I'm sure if you would have contacted them about the mistake, they would have sent you another set for the correct year. And, a lot of places are not making you pay for return shipping like in the past. Even so, it would have been worth it to me to get the right parts.

y2kz71

Jun 11, 2007
Okay...add me to the DC plastics sux list.

The rear fender for my 1979 fit okay, however they boast that its color matched to OEM plastic and its not even close, furthermore its a rough non-glossy finish so it doesnt even look right.

Now Im in the hunt for a rear fender for my RM400 :think:

drgriffi1

May 24, 2007
I can't say anything about color, I ordered red and they came in red. Matched the rest of the pieces I had on the bike, so I can't complain. I'm sure some people have good experiences and some have bad. For certain things they are great, others not so much.

dirtdealer726

Mar 2, 2006
The reason that the hole indents are not as thick as the rest of the plastic is because the plastic is vacuumed into the hole. Wherever there is a deep spot on the part, the plastic is going to be thinner than the rest of the piece. That is vaccuum forming. I have had very good luck with them. Here is a quote from their **** store, "DC Plastics specializes in replacement plastic for vintage motocross and off-road motorcycles. Our products are vaccuum-formed replica pieces of original equipment. Keep in mind that most of the original plastic on your bike was injection molded. Be aware that our lines and edges cannot be as sharp as the original, injection molded plastic. Our high quality plastic products are made for the vintage racer and hold up well for several race seasons. All plastic products have a matte finish unless stated otherwise."

MashBill

Jun 1, 2007
Check out the products made by Maier Manufacturing. Dennis Kirk and several of the vintage specialty sites sell them. Looks like good quality plastic.

drgriffi1

May 24, 2007
dirtdealer726 said:
The reason that the hole indents are not as thick as the rest of the plastic is because the plastic is vacuumed into the hole. Wherever there is a deep spot on the part, the plastic is going to be thinner than the rest of the piece. That is vaccuum forming. I have had very good luck with them. Here is a quote from their **** store, "DC Plastics specializes in replacement plastic for vintage motocross and off-road motorcycles. Our products are vaccuum-formed replica pieces of original equipment. Keep in mind that most of the original plastic on your bike was injection molded. Be aware that our lines and edges cannot be as sharp as the original, injection molded plastic. Our high quality plastic products are made for the vintage racer and hold up well for several race seasons. All plastic products have a matte finish unless stated otherwise."

That about covers everything people were complaining about. I guess they should have read a little into what they were buying before making the commitment. And then they blame the company for shoddy work, but yet it is stated in black and white right there. You can please some of the people some of the time, but not all the people all the time.

dirtdealer726

Mar 2, 2006
Has anyone actually called the company about their problems? If a company does not know that their product has thin mounting holes or size issues, they cannot fix it. I have talked with Don at DC Plastics several times. He is a nice guy and bends over backwards to help his customers get the best product possible. If you were not happy when you received the product, then you should have just sent it back. They offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

I just hate to see these companies getting bashed on message forums when nobody even takes the time to talk with the owner of the business.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I have to say the biggest complaint I've repeatedly heard on other forums was the matte finish. Seems like the company explained that pretty well. And, let's face it, for most of us that are actually going to ride our vintage bikes, these are probably going to work fine. I'm just happy there is a company out there that makes these. In many cases, there is no alternative. Anywhere.

y2kz71

Jun 11, 2007
drgriffi1 said:
That about covers everything people were complaining about. I guess they should have read a little into what they were buying before making the commitment. And then they blame the company for shoddy work, but yet it is stated in black and white right there. You can please some of the people some of the time, but not all the people all the time.

Just FYI.....I bought mine off their **** listing and no where does it state its a matte finish in the listing, In fact the call it an excellent finish and color matched...BS...its not even close to the factory color...too yellow.

This auction is for a 1980 RM 125-400 Rear Fender. It is great quality and has an excellent finish. The color was matched with an OEM suzuki piece of plastic. It was made from high density plastic. It is fade resistant. Thanks for looking!

Yes they offer a 100% satisfaction, but your out shipping both ways.

I went and bolted mine up...as you guys said if your gonna ride it...doesnt matter that much. :uh:

Top Bottom