markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Okay, you've finally gotten the young trophy wife, so now it's time to get something you can actually make use of. Your ultimate vintage dirt bike.

If you could only have one vintage dirt bike, cost being of zero importance (yeah right!), in perfect shape, what bike would you choose?

Gotta admit, I'm torn on this. I can narrow it down to two bikes, (the Rickman Metisse Triumph came in third) and I actually own one of those two.

My finalists are an '81 490 Maico, preferably totally redone and maintained by Eric Cook of Maico Only (remember, cost is no problem). However, I still drool over the photos of the Aberg HL500 Yamaha, especially since I know they're lighter than a YZ426.

Well . . . if I can only have one damnit, Maicos being so common, guess the Aberg Yamaha is it.

Awright, what about you guys?

------------------
'81 490 Maico (King Kong!), 2000 CR250, 74-1/2 GP400 Maico, buncha street stuff

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
I grew up with Jim Pomeroy and my father being best of friends. I wan't his 74' GP winning Pursang with all factory mods done by none other than "Rubio".

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Mine is not a logical choice, its an emotional choice. A 1980 KTM 420 MC80.
( 1978 or 1979 KTM 420's almost as good I had them all and they were the best race motorcycles I ever owned before or since )

Second choice would be a 1987 Honda CR250

Third would be a 1973 Bultaco Pursang 250

Second and Third are just glory year choices. Lots of fun those years on those bikes.

But I am having fun with my 1974 Bultaco 360 and my 1982 husqvarna XC430. So they get the time and attention my new young trophy wife lets dripple by. ( Actually my new young trophy wife is an excellent mechanic. But Horses are her pass time. )

Oh yea, the 1998 Husky WR360 is nice but its a appliance bike. Just ride it and maintain it with the kids. No attachment at all. LOL Have fun guys....

[This message has been edited by weimedog (edited 01-24-2001).]

[This message has been edited by weimedog (edited 01-24-2001).]

Fast Frank 1

Oct 31, 2000
I want my 125 elsinore back i loved the metal silver and green tank. As a young kid i had problems with the powerband and the thing would load-up in a heartbeat. But if i had it back i would be the boss.
cool.gif

Oregon Trail

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 1999
The first bike that comes to mind is Jeff Ward's totally trick XR 75 tearing up Escape Country's track and all the other riders. If I had that bike back then...... or a Harry's Cycle Sales XR 75.

------------------
91 KDX250
81 HUSKY 430 XC
72 HUSKY WR 250
72 HUSKY WR 450

Husky Texan

Oct 6, 2000
Wow! This is a tough one because there are so many great choices and only a few spots left in the garage.

I believe I would like Marty Smith's 1975 RC125 (with the solid copper head to make the weight limit) and my 81 RM465 (would like to have it because I won my class at the Daytona Amateur Supercross in 82).

The trickest bike I ever rode was my 74 Elsinore 125 with a cut frame and aluminum swing arm (10 inches of travel!)and a cylinder ported by Uncle Donny Emler (FMF).
cool.gif
I believe it was in the powerband from about 10,000 to 11,000 RPM.
eek.gif
Still have a blister on my left big toe. To be 14 and fearless again. What the hell, I'd ride it if I had it.
tongue.gif

------------------
Dave
1995 KDX200
81 Husky 430CR & 84 500WR
"Always looking for another Swedish wench!"

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Gee a lot of people here had '74 Elsinore 125's eh?
Well i'm another one.
Was a nice bike, but the powerband sucked for Pa. woods riding!
eek.gif

Hmmmm, what would i pick?
Hmmmmm.
Ossa Phamtom?
Yamaha YZ-490?
'85 Honda XR-350R? (is that vintage?)

Well, i'm a foof bike rider so maybe either a :
1971 Honda SL350K1 (in red of course)
or a
1972 Honda CL450K5 "Scrambler"
I've got a soft spot in my heart for Honda's beautifull CL series!
(even though they are more street than dirt)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If money is no object, I can't narrow it down to one. Here are some exotic race bikes and museum peices I'd love to own:

The Harley works MXer with the forks on the rear

Gaston Rahier's Suzuki RH125 - the first world champion 125

Roger's bike with the Ribi front suspension.

One of the many bikes used by Gerrit Wolsink to win the Carlsbad USGP

Graham Noyce's '76 Maico works bike

A Montessa raced by Mickey Kessler

One of Bad Brad's works Huskys.

Pierre Karsmaker's AMA champ Yamaha

Broc Glover's DG Honda CR

Hannah's first water cooled head OW125

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
If money was no object.......

Penton 175
Maico 501
Husky 360 8 speed

First off I'd love to have a Penton 175. When I was a kid my neighbor had one I remember that was the "bike" to have in the day

I'd like to have one of those 8 speed Husky's. 4speed gear box with a high and low range. I've rode one and thought it was the greatest thing since slice bread. One of my dad's friends had a fleet of60's-70's Husky's. That was my favorite one to ride
smile.gif

I think the badest bike I remember riding as a kid was a Maico 501
eek.gif
I could not start it, not enough lead in my parts to fire that monster, but once she was running WATCH OUT!!!

The trickest bike I ever rode a Yamaha TT500 that belonged to none other than the KING himself... Kenny Roberts
smile.gif
When I was a kid I rode with a bunch of guys that new Kenny Roberts. Since I lived very close to Modesto, Ca, Kenny would ride with the group on Sundays afternoons after chruch.

Great thread, brings back great early days memories
smile.gif

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Hey, how about a 74 KX 450, isn,t that on anybodys list?
biggrin.gif
(don,t blame you).
I have to admit Mark, especially after seeing a "look alike" down at Casey last fall,Abergs 500 would be #1.
Other wise my bike would be the 78 KX250, gold rims, swing arm. not the best handling bike, but it looked neat, should of never sold mine.

------------------
AMA Lifer
Aztalan Cycle Club VP
98YZ400f
74KX450's
75 Rokon
350 Bridgestone
Road Toad & others

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
What a question! I would have to go with the 81 Maico 490. I also have a soft spot for 77-78 RM's. Just like the way they look!

D PALMER

Dec 20, 2000
I always liked the '75 Yamaha MX400B. Does anyone remember these with the white alloy tank and yellow and black decals? Monoshock suspension and 38.8rwhp. They were a great allround bike, mine was street legal and geared for 115mph. It would cruise at 80 (37mpg) and handled perfectly. It did a 12.9 quarter at 102 as well.

It was used as a commuter, drag-racer, motocrosser, beach and woods riding and for trips on the road. Just a sprocket and tire change as required.

I hammered it daily for a couple of years with nothing done except for oil changes and spark plugs. It was a bike that gave the rider great satisfaction.

bushpilot

Dec 29, 1999
A Bill Bell/Long Beach Honda Baja bike. 410cc XL350 Motor in a C & J nickel plated frame, reverse cone megaphone, Elsinore wheels and forks. It don't get no better.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Any of the bikes from 'On Any Sunday' would be cool.

Mert's XR750 would be a nice addition.

I'd like to have a '74 YZ250

Heck I'd love to have my '74 Honda MR50 back!

ODEI

Oct 24, 2000
I have a sweet 77 RM 250 that is a blast to ride. It has a original thor after market aluminum Swing arm and the longer travel FOX rear shocks on it. Found it is scrap pile in San Antonio Tx. Think maybe it could have been the cowboys. I doubt it but I like to think so. Very Odd hand printed numbers on the gear packs inside the tranny to.

Pete O

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I'm a member of the '74 'Snore Corps also. Mine was painted red and had a "lay-down" Koni shock arrangement. It'd be nice to have it back.

A Bultaco Frontera would be a tasty addition to the garage. I've always had a Jones for one--don't know why.

I'd like another shot at the Bultaco 125 Lobito I had before the Elsinore.

I looked at a Honda SL125 today and got kinda misty... Hell, just give me one of everything!

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Another former ' 74 125 Elsinore owner, here. Laid down Boge shocks, DG swingarm, Webco(?) cylinder head, Goki air fork caps, Preston Petty fenders, DG pipe (w/custom dents), can't remember what kind plastic tank, InterAm(?) solid aluminum bars. Those were the days.
Still have my ' 78 RM 125 with Fox air shocks and Al Baker fork kit. It's decomposing in my parents garage. Haven't ridden it since 1979.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Vic,
Get that 78 RM out and let it breath! After 20 plus years, that old gal deserves some attention! Any chance you would sell it? Man I wanted one of those so bad in 78! But got vetoed by my dad. Had to settle for a PE 175, becasue it was quieter!

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Sawblade- You are the second person this week (and ever) to ask me if I wanted to sell it. I plan on using it a teaching tool for my kids. I don't even have any idea what it's worth. Do you?

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Have you started that old gal in the last 20 years? I would think if it was not running you could fetch up to $300. Running, $500. Of course general condition of tires, chain sprockets, body parts etc would all play into the selling price.

Don't blame you for not wanting to sell the bike. It could be a great project for you and the kids to work on. Then let them ride it as pay back for helping get old Suzy going again.

When you start the project, take pictures of the bike as it seats in your parents garage. Then at different stages of the restoration project. I'm sure it will be amazing to see the progress in the photos.

I don't remember, but didn't the 78 RM's still have steel tanks?

Good luck with the project! I just bought my son a KX 100 a few weeks ago. Told him since this was his first bike. We would never sell it. He doesn't understand completely, but he will appreciate it when he is an adult. My Dad still has my first bike he bought me, a 73 TM 75 Suzuki. Only thing is, he will not let me have it. He wants it at home for the grand kids! My son also learned to ride on the TM 75. How cool is that!

Again enjoy, and post pictures. But... If you decide to sell her. I would be very interested!

bultokid

Jun 23, 2000
here's a few
1)Harry Everts twin carbed '75 Puch 250 MX
2)Bimbo's '73 'Sang
3)David Bailey's '83 CR250-man those blood red one's were artwork
4)Frank Stacys '77 Sachs trans-ama bike
5)Mosieev's '79 KTM 250
6)my cousins '71 SL 100 -the bike that gave me the bug!!!!
7)my '71 honda mini-trail 50

------------------
Rhett
2000 KTM 380SX
75/77/79 Bultaco Pursangs
'80 Montesa 414VG
'85 Maico 500

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Sawblade- I think it's worth more to me than I could get for it.
The ' 77s still had steel tanks, but the ' 78s had plastic.
smile.gif

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom