Vintage MC Days, Lexington Ohio

AjayMike

Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 9, 2003
Hello All

A fellow vintage dirt bike nut that I've been riding with for 30 years (Ossa-Bultaco guy) wants me to go with him to the Vintage Motorcycle Days in Lexington Ohio this month. I'm thinking about going even though it's a 12 hour drive for me. I hear the racing is great and the swap meet is, as the youngsters say, awesome.

I was wondering if anyone has experience attending this event, and had any comments.

Mike

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
Mike,

I have never attended Mid-Ohio (that's what my buddys call it). They say the racing is good but the swap-meet is the best! If you need it, it's there. If you want to sell it, someone at Mid-Ohio will want to buy it. They say the swap meet is so big it would take Paul Bunyun and Babe a week to walk the whole thing. :eek:

Have fun and come back and tell us if it's as good as they say.

Tom

Ted

Mar 25, 2000
This is the first year I will miss in several years. Mid-Ohio is the best! I have bought and sold several bikes there, lots of parts (flea market/swap meet is huge), and the vintage MX is soooo much fun!

If you get the chance to go, GO!

Ted

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Worth the trip, even if it's more than 12 hours! Incredible event in every way and the AMA (as usual) doesn't give it enuf play. There will be 800 swap meet vendors (including me, the VMX magazine dudes), AHRMA trials and mx (on Sunday only, with 500 entries), AHRMA roadracing all weekend, a vintage flat track, a vintage bike auction, demo rides from all the manufacturers, lots of things to see and do and eat and drink. Three days is barely enuf time. There are between 50 and 80,000 people attending, so this is a Major Big Deal. Think Daytona Bike Week, except without the ocean or the zillions of custom Harleys with open pipes. And you don't have to be into vintage bikes to find plenty to do. Just walking the swap meet is an incredible experience. If you can't find about one new thing you'd like to buy about every 50 feet, then it's probably becuz your wife has you blindfolded and gagged. Positively, definitely worth the trip! Heck, I may have to come up with some kind of discount offer for dirtridernet members . . .

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
Mark,

Were you at Casey(edit), IL a couple weeks ago? There was a VMX booth there and I stopped to talk. Sorry we didn't get introduced. I'll keep a lookout for you in the future.

Tom

Last edited:

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Been there 3-4 times. Worth the trip? Well I'm packing for it now! Mapquest says 1300 miles and 22 hours for me. Did the trials the last two years and the MX last year, will do the trials this year.

I've yet to get thru the flea market all the way, even riding a motorcycle.

NOTE: riding in the flea market is an issue as is riding around the complex. Whatever pit bike you ride, it HAS to have a plate on it. Does not have to be street legal or current regis, but needs the plate. Blasting around on a loud MXer or flattracker will get you stopped, even with a plate. A nice pit bike works well.

Last year they tried to keep bikes out of the flea market but we got in anyway. Try entering thru a torn down section of fence on the southwest corner of the flea market where it meets one of the parking areas.

Having a quiet street legal bike with ya lets you cruise the grounds, the flea market, and make the jaunt to the fairgrounds for the flattrack on Fri nite. Also buzz into town for food or dinner. Using a car or truck around that place is a hassle. Save it for when you go get the Mother Lode from the flea market!!!

I'll be staying in the campground west of the west trackside camping, if that makes sense, hopefully on the east side of the trees that separates the west campground from the far west campground. Make sense?

Look for the white E350 Ford SuperCargo Powerstroke with no windows and no markings on the outside whatsoever. I'll be near a Class C motor home and Rick Smit's big diesel pusher with a big black trailer behind it. Cell is 719 237 4857 if anyone wants to check in with me.

CU there! Leo.

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
TVRider: Yep, that was us at Casey. We always show up for the Ramsay's vintage events, as this is the best vintage track anyplace. Definitely look us up at Mid Ohio.

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
I rode by after the trials event and was asking about issues with the 79 Huskey 250 OR in it. You guys had pretty much already packed up though. :( My fault for not stopping earlier. I wish I could go to mid-ohio, but I've committed to being a counselor at our Pastor's youth church camp that week. Maybe next year.

Tom

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Tom: Yeah, I remember that happening. We were there Sunday as well, but you must've already headed back. In any case, I just checked the index and the Husky OR is one we haven't done a story on. Got a good one? Might be something we'd photog and research.

I suppose I should see if the moderator has a good way to get the index on line. Unfortunately, it's not a text file.

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
Mark,

It's not particularly nice except in how it runs :) . I'm new to the Husky's so I was just looking for additional info, ya know that thirst for knowledge about your latest toy. ;)

Tom

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom