Vintage silencers and spark arrestors

Tracy Howell

Aug 19, 2002
Where does everyone get those great silencers for their vintage 2-strokes? I am need to find something that has a spark arrestor. I have a '77 RM 250 with the stock one on it and it is LOUD! The wife and kids are afraid of it! If they see me working on it, they plead with me not to start the beast! The Sparkys don't do anything for the sound and they are heavy. I am thinking that a old Suzuki PE unit would fit good and do the job. The DG's are nice but they don't have a spark arrestor. I am California and it needs a spark arrestor to get Green Stickered.
From that which does not kill us, we learn

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
My friend just got a FMF Universal Spark Arrestor to replace the crappy old stock thing on his 1973 CR250 Elsinore. The bike is ten times quieter now and its a legal spark arrestor, I would definitally recommend it. I think that its only like 120 or something like that. Check out FMF's site by clicking on their logo on the left, then goto 2 stroke, then silencers.
Jim

Oregon Trail

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 1999
If you're on a budget and have the use of a welder, JC Whitney ($8-$10) has some that work well. They are rebuildable, but you have to do a little handy work to customize the fit. You can get a 'Sparky' for it too. Also 'Casler' (spelling) made some that you can find around that are universal fit. ;)

Tracy Howell

Aug 19, 2002
Thanks for the reply. I have been temped by those JC Whitney units. I also let a brand new Castlor go by on ebay. I think I will have to go with the FMF unit. I need it to be as quiet as possible. Those darn things are $100+!

Oregon Trail

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 1999
Tracy, sometimes you'll find spark arrestors from other bikes you can make work on E-bay. Mike

Tracy Howell

Aug 19, 2002
Yes, that is an option. I do, however, want to limit or avoid any elaborate bracketing to hold the thing on the bike. The old RM's don't have any extentions from the frame to mount to. I had an '82 YZ490 that I added a Sparky to. The weight of the Sparky was too much for the braket and it broke. There was also a clearance problem with the rear wheel. It turned out to be a big problem. The clearance with the seat is an issue with the RM's. The pipe can also get pushed out of alignment if it is not mounted firmly and properly causing other problems. If I can find an old PE unit, I might go with that.

daveEX

Feb 11, 2000
if you do have to make some custom brackets try to include some rubber in the proccess. in other words try not to mount it solid.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom