Vision in Rain and nasty wet riding

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I did my first enduro last week (the Loose Moose in Marquette MI) and had a blast. What ended up getting me was the rain/fog/mist/wet woods and their effect on my goggles and glasses. I ended up crashing a handful of times as I simply could not see well enough! Ended up removing goggles and glasses as a last ditch attempt to see - and of course paid for my mistake big time with a brach accross the eyes and a scratched cornea (I did not realize it until after the race) - I really cant figure how I made it as far as I did after that! Bottom line was I houred out about 2/3 of the way through the race.

So... how do you guys manage to see in conditions like that? I have Scott "turbo" supposedly no fog goggles, and wear eye glassses. Both would fog up big time, particularily in slower sections (yeah I know - all of what I did was slow compared to most of you!) Independant of the fogging - simply the rain/water on the goggles was a problem, and tear/roll offs would not last very long to stay clear. Any suggestions - or do I need to learn to ride blind?

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Really you only have 2 options 1) switch to glasses (like safety glasses) or go with nothing.

I raced an enduro in april in heavy rain. The goggles lasted about 5 minutes. I ran the entire race with nothing. I cleaned alot of crap out of my eyes but didn't have to deal with fog.

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
I have used eye glasses or contacts for enduro riding for ~20 years now. I have had the best results with contacts and goggles. I have also used goggles over glasses. To use goggles you must be meticulous about lense care. The lenses must be TOTALLY clean. Foreign matter on the lenses alllow steam to build up. Get all the oils (from your body) the glasses and frame. I wear gloves (washed with no fabric softener, etc.) to install the goggles lense (new lenses often), leaving the protective film on until time to race (5 to 10 minutes prior). Rain-X applied to the outside of the lense helps alot as well (still wearing those gloves and using a clean rag to apply). It may seem like overkill, but it better than crashing due to lack of vision, or getting an eye injury from riding unprotected. Bottom line: keep it clean (and oil free).

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Burleson would drive in the rain with no windshield wipers for practice! I hear he has had laser on his eyes and is going as fast as ever.
Mike, are you a candidate for laser?
When the rains come, I invariably remove my goggles (I think most riders do) and have never scrached a cornea (bad luck; Mike) , maybe after a while you learn how to duck and use the duckbill.

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
As in the other post I use the double lens also. Ran a race about 4 years ago and it snowed about 2inches during the race. Had to take my goggles off due to all the fogging up and wettness, what a mistake, ending up freezing my face. A friend who is a snowmoblie rider had his double lens goggles and came in at the end smiling with a nice and toasty face. Ever since then thats all I use. I also rain-x them and use roll-offs with the roll-off visor.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i use rain-x on the lenses & fishing line (dupont stren, i think about 8-lb. test) under the roll-offs so they won't stick, along with the little roll-off visor thingie. when it really pours, i sometimes wear prescription safety glasses instead. it's tough if you have bad vision & can't just take off the goggs/glasses--can't see to ride with out the prescription!

enduro8

Sep 22, 2000
At the Quicksilver national in 2000 I ended up with a DNF because I took off my goggles. Too much mud in my eyes combined with freezing rain pounding me.

I run the Scott dual pane lenses and that pretty much eliminates the fogging problem. Sometimes the fog a tiny bit, but nothing compared to anything else I have tried. Either get the kind with no vents or tape over the vents if it is raining (I have had rain get between the dual panes if it is a vented pair...actually that is why i took my goggles off at the 00 quicksilver).

Rain-X on the outside works great. I rub it on lightly and then let it sit for about 30 seconds to let it dry a bit. Then rub it till your hands turn blue.

Use contacts if you can, othwise use Rain-X no fog on your glasses as well. They eye glasses was probably a major part of the reason you had the fogging problems.

My experience is to not use roll offs at all if it is raining. They hinder your view, things get stuck and broken too easy. The fishing wire trick does not really work for me, and neither does adding flaps to keep the rain out, etc.

Once you take your goggles off you are pretty much screwed since you can not put that pair back on without major problems.

When it is really muddy or raining I carry an extra set of goggles in my fanny pack, and I send a pair out to every gas stop. I swap in a new pair at gas even if the pair I am wearing is not trashed (yet). If I cant see at all I will pull over and put on the fresh set out of my fanny pack. It is worth the stop because if you are racing with rain pounding in your eyes you are going to lose time anyways.

enduro8

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
thanks for all the comments! keep em coming!

I did a bit more poking around looking for resources and came across this:

http://www.eyetechoptical.com

they offer a lot of alternatives including prescription lens that inserts into a Smith goggle. One of their staff apparantly races MX and is quite familiar with our sort of needs. Unfortunately he was not available - but will be next week. Looks promising!

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
I'd like to reiterate* what Enduro8 says about just swapping goggles. I carry a spare set of prepped goggles in a ziploc bag behind my numberplate. I where the first set as long as I can stand then swap to the new pair. Therre are few things that feel better than that fresh set of goggles out on a hydro run.

Sometimes a new pair of gloves is a good idea too.

*reiterate, (like co-conspiritor) is a bit redundant, isn't it?

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
thanks again for the info. The idea of spare goggles is a good one - though the pro-vue.com option is really appearing to be the all time best I have seen so far. Not nearly as expensive as i expected to see either ($160 ish). Anyone else with experience with the pro-vue rx inserts?

HGilliam

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
Mike, My wife bought me the ProVue for an annivesary gift in May. So far I have only used them in dusty conditions but I love them. Maybe I'll get to try them under different conditions next week. We are going on vacation in the mountains of eastern Tennesse and western NC. Doing a 2 day dual sport run and a 2 day training class at the Trials Training Center near Chattanooga. After that who knows but it will be on street or dirt bikes !
I'll give you a better report when we get back.

PS she went nuts and ordered bifocals and photogrey lens so I don't have any excuses.

Howard

headbanger

May 7, 2000
I ride snowmobiles and will only ride with a MX helmet and goggles(dual lens without the holes in them)and wipe them with alcohol. If you have trouble fogging try a piece of duct tape across your nose (like a giant breath-rite. It will deflect your breath away from your goggles and if it is cold it will prevent frost-bite! But other riders may think your crazy! A few of the snowcross guys use the Pro-Vue goggles and say they are great.
Good Luck
Headbanger

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by HGilliam
[B>>]Mike, My wife bought me the ProVue for an annivesary gift in May.... PS she went nuts and ordered bifocals and photogrey lens so I don't have any excuses.

After that who knows but it will be on street or dirt bikes !
I'll give you a better report when we get back.

Howard [/B]

Now thats the kind of anniversary gift all wifes should buy! My anniversary was just a couple days ago... no Pro-vue's for me... I musta been bad or somthin! I did get to go for a nice long ride on my VFR with the wife today though - so I guess I cant complain. How do you like the RT?

LMK how the pro-vues work out for you. I almost ordered them Friday but it was iffy if they would be here before the next time I plan to race (if you can call my pokey slow pace "race") so I held off on the order. If someone can tell me they dont fog up - I really think they are the ticket. I went as far as getting an eye exam last week (my wife suggested a head exam... :^) so my prescription would be current.

thanks again all who have responded!
keep em comin - particularily if you have used Pro-vue Rx goggles!

Top Bottom