Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
I thought I would pass on to all here the unfortunate news that Ray Ryan, Editor of VMX Magazine recently passed away. I learned this on the VMX website. His writing and magazine content was the best. His lead columns would bring me to tears, especially the one about his first bike and how he tried to paint it. This is from the website:

Ray Ryan- Publishing Editor (Deceased)

Former racer and co-founder of "Australasian Dirt Bike" magazine in 1975, Ray started VMX to fill the information void for older riders with an interest in classic dirt bikes. "With one exception, Racer-X Illustrated, the modern bike mags were totally focused on the money driven culture of contemporary dirt bikes, with no relevance or connection to older riders or the heritage of our sport. Australia was never intended to be our only market; so it only took two issues to mould VMX into a truly international classic dirt bike magazine.

"Our focus has not shifted and we embrace all old dirt bikes up to and including the mid 1980s. VMX speaks one language and that's the common dialogue of old dirt bike riders and restorers from as far afield as Sydney and San Francisco. It's all about the people, the experiences and the values of being part of a unique culture of the same old dirt, same old bikes and same old fun".

Ray's favourite motorcycles include various Husqvarnas, a few Hodakas, BSA B50MX, Triumph 500, Yamaha HL500 and a silver Honda NX650 Dominator. "The Honda is for clearing out my head on those clear sunny days which are one of the great bonuses of living and working on Australia's west coast".

Vince Stokes

May 30, 2002
I read an article Ray wrote 30 years ago on how to improve
an XT 500 Yamaha.I used this as a bible for years,a true
enthusiast.he will be greatly missed,I expect Ray and Geoff
who stared ADB,both gone, will be roosting golf causes somewere.
Vince

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Ray was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year and was being treated for that. However, it was actually a heart attack that took him.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Hey guys, I just got Ray's book "Motocross Racers" and it's purdy cool.

Top Bottom