markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
For anyone looking for vintage dirt bike information, I suggest surfing over to the VMX magazine web site at www.vmx-mag.com.

Besides all of the vintage bike information on the site, vintage racing news, the Links page has around 50 active vintage bike site links.

VMX magazine itself is also available through the site, and trust me, you've never seen anything as beautiful as this publication.

------------------
'81 490 Maico (King Kong!), 2000 CR250, 74-1/2 GP400 Maico, buncha street stuff

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I'll second that. I recently purchased a VMX subscription and all of the back issues. I was NOT disappointed. VMX is one spectacular publication. I highly recommend it to anyone who has a dirt bike in their past!

------------------
'00 Honda XR400
'73 Maico MC400 (most of it anyway)
'73 CZ 380
'70 Bultaco Sherpa T
Vintage Dirt Home Page

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
It's my favorite magazine BY FAR. The photography is amazing.

Eric Gorr

Engine Builder
Jun 29, 1999
Hey Mark, maybe you can tell us what is covered in the latest issue of VMX?
Also is there an online archive of back issues, the content for each, availability and cost?

My friend Bud and I have been restoring a 1977 Maico AW125, are there any issues covering that model?

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Eric, the VMX web site has a full back issue index that lists just about everything that's been published, including the typos. It's not a true database, so searches aren't possible (my next major project), but it's sorted out by topic, bike, etc.

As for the AW125 Maico, we haven't done a story on this bike, but would love to do so. Not a lot of those little beasties around, even when new. I rode a number of them back when, and enjoyed them. There are several 125 Maicos being raced actively in AHRMA with some success.

Issue #10 of VMX has just arrived. Among the bikes featured are the 1974 Yamaha YZ360, Triumph Metisse, Hodaka Super Rat, a loving look at Bultacos of several generations, Honda Mini-Trails, Dick Mann TT500, part two of The Suzuki Saga (history of their mx program)and Brad Lackey's return to Czechoslovakia and the CZ 2001 prototype that someone has mentioned elsewhere on the forum. Plus a lot of other stuff I haven't gotten around to reading yet . . .

ToddHawaii

Apr 3, 2000
Thanks for the info.
smile.gif

Aloooha!
TrailTramp
98'Husky
87'Husky
74'Husky
69'Sachs

TBONE

~SPONSOR~
Jun 30, 2000
WOW..! I just received issue #10 in the mail yesterday. That is the nicest magazine I've ever seen. The photos, layouts, articles are just great.. I think I'll be getting a few back issues and a full subscription. Those photos of those old Bultacos
biggrin.gif
...Yummmmmmmy !!I encourage all you oldtimers to at least pick up a issue...you won't be dissapointed. It brought back some old memories...

Tony

[This message has been edited by TBONE (edited 01-31-2001).]

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
TBone/Tony:
The endorsement check is in the mail : )

Seriously, after fielding email all week (while on vacation and over a slow modem connection, to boot), I'm glad to hear that the Post Office is finally getting those copies of #10 where they belong!

Glad to hear you like the issue. The Buls are nice, but what I really want is one of those white tank YZ360s, thank you very much. John Garmon, the promoter of the Running Brand GP in Alabama (a vintage race you gotta get to if you can!) just bought a couple of them and will be picking them up in Florida in a few weeks. I'm trying to convince him that he doesn't really need a spare bike . . .

------------------

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Anyone who hasn't seen this magazine is really missing out on an incredible experience. So it's back to the top with this thread.

bultokid

Jun 23, 2000
hey mark-is the next issue gonna have the sachs 250mx like frank stacy rode in it?checkout adds on tvrc.org there is some sachs stuff on it..take care

------------------
Rhett
2000 KTM 380SX
75/77/79 Bultaco Pursangs
'80 Montesa 414VG
'85 Maico 500

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Bultokid: The Sachs story is scheduled and I actually finished writing it, despite mucho computer demons (gotta do a C:format shortly . . . wheeee!).

Anyhow, it's scheduled but there's a chance it might get bounced to #12. I'll know in a few days.

Seriously cool bike! I actually rode one when it was new, part of a test ride for Cycle Times magazine. Had great potential, plush suspension, decent motor and the thing still looks modern 25 years later. Sachs however is schizoid about bike manufacturing, and couldn't figure out whether they wanted to be a bike maker or just sell the parts.

Far as I can tell, these bikes were last raced seriously by Willi Bauer (ex-Maico) in 1979 in the GP chase, then Sachs pulled the plug.

Strangely enough, they still make bikes, using Suzuki engines and recently showed off a naked street bike prototype that might mean they're getting serious again.

------------------

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
UP

------------------
Rich Rohrich
==

"Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the life-long attempt to acquire it."
- Albert Einstein

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
just placed my subscription order... neat magazine...gotta relive my maico days, read up on history with some backorders...

Top Bottom