cjKTM

Nov 28, 1999
Would anyone know the fork spring rate for a '02 V-Cross with the 48mm(MX Fork) Paioli/Kayaba. My manual is pretty lame on the suspension settings. I e-mailed Paioli and they sent me the fork service manual although it doesn't list the spring rate.

cjKTM

Nov 28, 1999
I like it a lot. The only drawback is it a bit heavy(260 lb) although this is within 3 lb of a 400 KTM. It does feel lighter when riding, turns better and has better suspension than the KTM(except for the fork being a bit stiff - this is the MX fork as you may know). I had no desire to get one until I rode it. The handling is as good as anything I've ever ridden. I used to ride a YZ250F and a bunch of KTM's over the years. It works great for dual sports but like all the 400's , it is more of a handfull than a 250 in the really tight stuff.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Glad you like it. I'm on my 4th VOR - I purchased '00 400en, '02 450vcross, '02 530 vcross and my current 450 enduro. The 530 was a real handul in a rock garden! Out of all of them I prefer the 450 vcross because the suspension. I will trade you spgs. if you would like. I think mine are the 44's.
Currently I have about 7hrs on my bike and wanted the vcross but couldn't find one so.... How long have you had it?
You mentioned the exact reasons why I bought mine - handling, suspension and I really like the power delivery with no hard hit, just even/strong output.

cjKTM

Nov 28, 1999
The springs on the EN that you want to trade are from the 46mm size forks are they not? You are right about the power, when it was new it had great low end into midrange but didn't want to rev very high. The KTM felt faster on top until I put some hours on it and went to a smalller main. Now it pulls from bottom to top. How much difference did the Keihen carb make on the '03? How do you like the Gas Gas? Around here the 4 stroke isn't very well thought of although the 2 strokes seem to be OK. I just came back from MX Tech with my forks from an oil change and had the valving lightened up a bit. He commented about the quality of the fork comparing it to the Ohlins which was good to hear.

cjKTM

Nov 28, 1999
Forgot to finish. I bought it new about a year ago. I put the lights on and have it mostly street legal for dual sports. Rode last winter until I broke my foot in the garage in the spring and missed the summer. Was laid up until early fall.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Sorry - my brain dead! :confused: You have 48mm and I have 46mm, oh well, good thought anyway!
I ran a 160 on the DelOhrto main. The pumper carb really changes the power delivery - the motor revs better but has less on the bottom which I miss. It gives the motor another 3-5hp which frankly I could care less - to me it's a matter of how is the power from 0-50mph not 25-80mph, after all how fast can you go on the single track? In the dual sport arena it may make a differance.
Regarding the GG thumper, its good because of the injection, actually it's incredible! The handling is good - not as good vs. the 2 smokes though because of xtra lbs. Suspension is fantastic.The power is like you runs off batteries if you can imagine that - very flat and it revs to the moon(14k?)If the terrain was really slippery, nasty, gnarly only the the VOR would compare. Overall though the VOR is the best thumper on the market when you need the all around bike in every aspect. To bad everyone has yet to really ride one! The reason I bought it was a FANTASTIC deal and hey it's a great backup bike!
In the end when it comes to thumpers the VOR is the best on the market and the GG is the best 2 smoke. I've owned 2(250 & 300) 2smokes and 1 thumper GG.
I look for VOR,GG,Husky to take a huge bite out of the market in the next few years simply due to the power delivery. I found it interesting when KTM went to the long stroke, same thing VOR did in '99 - who needs to have your arms yanked off in the woods, smooth power is where it's at unless you mx and even then you need smooth delivery for no wheelspin.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
He would be better off with a 162-165 range on the 530. Rick Smith can get them if not I can. (the Del Orto distributer is also in Pennsylvania. Herdan Corp. 1-610-562-3155) I also run a 160 on my 450EN. I ran a 160 on a 530 at 5000 ft altitude and it was right on...but out here in the east especially this time of year a little fatter jet might be the ticket.

300exclove

Jun 6, 2006
spring talk

hey either of you guys have .46 or.48's to fit my 02 300 exc
i have .40 and .42 to trade or sell
help a bro. out.814 535-4126
thanks guys

Top Bottom