Vortip vs. Thumper Racing Insert for XR400

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
I've been running my '97 XR400 with the stock exhaust, spark arrestor screen still in, and the noise diffuser pulled out. Ran a LOT better after the noise diffuser was pulled, airbox snorkel removed, TwinAir filter installed, and carb rejetted.

While it runs a lot better now, it's a bit louder than I would like it to be. And after standing next to big-bore yammie-hammers and katooms and getting my ears busted - I think I want to tone the noise down a bit.

So.... I've settled on getting either the Vortip or Thumper Racing Insert.

I'm looking for feedback on noise reduction vs power loss/characteristics ('cause we all know there is no free lunch....grin) between the two.

Thanks!

Rick Wetzel

Jan 21, 2002
Vortip

E-ticket: Hey ! I live in the country, just outside of Eugene Or. I just got a brand new xr4 and I am awaiting new parts including the vortip baffle from baja designs. I cant tell you how loud it is, especially compared to yours since I never heard it, but I'll let you know how loud I "think" it is in a few days !
I have ordered the 58 pilot and 162 main jets, is that what your running ?
My brother lives up in portland and has a ktm LC4. Maybe some time we could all go riding ! Rick

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Thanks, Rick! My jetting was done by House of Horsepower in Eugene so I'll have to dig out my spec sheet on sizes.

Yah, please let me know on how the Vortip sounds. Riding sounds good once the snow goes away. (grin)

Rick Wetzel

Jan 21, 2002
vortip and misc. ramblings

E-ticket, (whats your name ? ) I live 20 miles outside of Eugene, and have heard of this "house of horsepower" but dont know anybody who has been there, or where it is. Info ? Do you recommend them ? If you want to, you can send me a persona e-mail at: Randallrun@aol.com
If you could dig out those specs I would owe you. How can I let you hear the vortip, after I get it, hopefully thursday ? Maybe I will load it into the truck and come up to porland this weekend or mon, tues to visit my bro, and we could all get together, and maybe even go for a little ride ?
Just a thought, or I could rev the piss out of it, while you listen to the phone.
Rick

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
E-

I've run the Vortip on my XR4. I think it is a grat value. Although lounder than stock, it is in no way near what the YZ's are putting out sound wise.

The down turned tip really helps divert the sound. The Vortip does not have any packing. That was a plus for me. WHile not a big deal I like the idea of not having to do maint on the tip (you have to repack the thumper racing tip)

I did add a second set screw (.10 cent fix, you'll understand when you see it) because I did have it fall off. My buddy has the same unit and never had an issue whith his with the only one screw.

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Rick, it's House of Horsepower in Cottage Grove, Oregon.

URL: http://www.houseofhorsepower.com/

Rich apparently doesn't do carb work anymore so he can focus on suspension work. Rick is the guy that did my XR's suspension - and it was a phenomenal change. On the jetting, it's going to take a while to find the spec sheet.... I got married this last year, moved into wifey-poo's house .... and everything is still buried. But I'll see if I can find it.

And Rodzilla, that is exactly the reason I was interested in the Vortip .... no maintanence! (grin) I had a chance to put a Vortip on my bike on Sunday but it was in an indoor practice arena w/ big-bore YZFs and KTMs running around.... couldn't hear much of anything but them!

I know the Thumper insert requires periodic packing, but I wouldn't mind it if there is a performance gain as the insert is pretty easy to get to.

cheers!

High Desert XR400

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2000
E-Ticket
What did Rich do to your suspension? Valving, springs etc.
How much do you weigh and what type of riding do you do most?
What did it cost you? How does it work?

I'm planning on getting mine done, there is a shop in Bend that is offering the MX Tech suspension by Jeremy Wilkney.
Just trying to get an idea of what route to take and what to expect.
Thanks!

Top Bottom