wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Everyone that is an AMA member will be getting thier American Motocyclist Magazine in the next day or so. I got mine today. Please VOTE for your director if you are in one of the two regions that are in this election.
OUR current director Jeff Smith, was instumental in getting the NEW advancement system that is going to be in place in 2005. I highely doubt we could have got that done with out his help. THe 10.00 day pass is also another project that came from our area with Jeff's help. This is only 2 things that directly pertains to all the amatuer riders in here.
Jeff has only done this job 3 years, the impact he has had on AMA and the process's are fantastic.
ALL you have to do is pull out the ballot from the American Motorcyclist Magizine, write in your AMA number, and the region your from, then "x" the box next to Jeff's name. Of course place it in the mail.

I realize you will want to see more then just "wardy says", there is a website www.midwestmx.com/jeff there you can see more.

I personally have worked with Jeff and he has done more then anyone has ever done for the north central region. (my opinion)

So you know another guy is running also, he is mainly a road rider, with very strong ties to Abate. Not that there is anything wrong with this at all, but as a racer, promoter and off road dude for 30 + years, and seeing what i have in the last year, there is not question my vote is for Jeff.

ALso please note. Districts14,15,16,17,22,23, ALL support Jeff for re-election!

Not often does all these districts aggree, this time they do!

thanks

wardy

any questions call me 815.539.9021 (after 5pm), or e mail me wardy@megacross.com

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Jeffs a great guy. He took AHRMA to the next level, and is still very active with in the club. Vote, vote, vote, ...now if they don't forget to mail the ballots to us lifers that don't get the mag any more :scream: I know, send in a subcription cheap smack.... one of those things that just got put on the back burner... :o

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
Thanks for reminding me!

Lifers that don't get the mag have to call or mail in a request for a ballot! Its one of the things that Jeff is working on, every life member should get the mag, if they want it!

just hope we can get the Off road / mx racers guys to vote this time,

note....... last election only 150 ballots or so were cast so EVERY VOTE DOES COUNT!

wardy

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by wardy

Lifers that don't get the mag have to call or mail in a request for a ballot! Its one of the things that Jeff is working on, every life member should get the mag, if they want it!
wardy

Thanks Wardy.

That is one of the things that they promised us lifers and then took back. :|
I hope Jeff can make it happen.

Ol'89r

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I'm not too familiar with Jeff Smith's involvement and accomplishments with the AMA, but I did have a rare opportunity to ride a couple days of fairly technical single track with him up in Michigan's U.P. last fall.

At the time Jeff was 68, and riding a (borrowed ?) 10 year old XR-400. I tell you what, it was all I could do to keep this guy in my sights. He was kind enough to wait for me at trail breaks, always with a big smile and wearing his open-face helmet. I was blown away by his riding skills, along with his genuine love and enthusiasm for the sport. And the riding stories he told, with his wry British accent and a twinkle in his eye... definitely a legend in my book.

We should all feel fortunate to have Jeff still so involved and dedicated to furthering the sport. I'll be looking for the ballot.

http://www.motocross.com/vintage/canam/canam8.htm

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/nov00vdJeffSmith-AMA.html

Last edited:

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
sorry to keep doing the "bump" thing but this is really important.

thanks

wardy

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
Just voted, sorry but I voted for the other guy. Since he is really involved with ABATE and they have stepped up big to fight legislation in IL. (East Peoria).

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by Erick82
Just voted, sorry but I voted for the other guy. Since he is really involved with ABATE and they have stepped up big to fight legislation in IL. (East Peoria).
To fight what legislation specifically?

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
Sd that is why we are vigilant in this, abate is fielding a supposed off road guy, and there is a huge deal going on here. AMA sent in the first people to ea peoria, and rockford, locally abate has chastised and made ama look bad and the same time claimed they are the off road champions.

hopefully the off road people will vote and get involved.

abate just muffed up two major issues in IL, but not much light is on that yet.

vote your view, my ballot lies with Jeff Smith.

wardy

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Well, I've read up quite a bit on the 2 candidates for the North Central Region, as well as ABATE, and specifically the Illinois chapter.

My vote is for Jeff Smith. Ballot goes out in tomorrow's mail.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
I did not get a ballot yet!!!!!!!!!!!
Wardy, are they (acording to Jeff ) sending them out automaticly to all life members???
VOTE JEFF SMITH!!!!!!:thumb: VOTE JEFF SMITH!!!!!!

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Jboomer,
I was told by AMA in Ohio that they would automaticly send it out (per phone conversation). Jeff Smith also confirmed this with me. But I still don't have it.
Better call them again.

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
You area boomer may not be voting this time around.

this is the north central region 3 area

two seats are up. region 3 and the north west.

wardy

Dave Wood

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2000
The AMA $10.00 card was negotiated by myself on behalf of AMA D36. The original discussion and agreement was reached with AMA represenative Bill Amick at a meeting at The National Speedway finals at Auburn Raceway. It was agreed to have a one day AMA membership for $10.00. It was a test, pilot program offered in D36 only the first year. The following year it was tested in D37. I take exception to your statement that the concept and original implementation took place in your region. Kawasaki DM Jamie Williams, Cross Country Steward Edd Haymond, AMA Congressman Jim Hutzler where all in attendence at the meeting held in Auburn.

Jeff Smith is a fine person and I do not write this to discredit him. I am glad that it was introduced to the AMA and I support a $10.00 one day card nationwide.

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
Sorry didn't know anything about your "trial" run on the membership program and that makes me take a big exception to the fact that AMA did this and didn't tell us. Not surprising but is exactly the type of thing that Jeff Smith will help put an end to.

AMA has for years done these types of things and it would be best that everyone gets going the same direction.

My thought is why should something like that only be tried in Cali when it would be just as easy to try it other places.

Many at congress this year thought it was a great idea and we pushed it through, if we would have known of this, maybe it would have been done earlier???

wardy

ps this deal you guys had sounds like a "temporary" rule deal we had here a while ago. these types of "deals" gets people mad at ama for doing "special" favors. thanks for the input dave!

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
FYI
Idid receive a ballot yesterday in the mail with out calling in. So it seems that ,like Jeff said, they will be sending out ballots to life members.

Top Bottom