VP C12 vs MRX01 vs MR2 ?

whitesands26

Mod Ban
Nov 17, 2002
Hey guys, I know the fuel topic has been covered extensively but As I reread some of the previous threads I always think of a new question...

With that said...Of these three fuels (C12, MRX01, and MR2) which would work best for a completely stock (aside from jetting changes)250cc two stroke motocross bike. Considering the best balance of pre-detonation protection and performance.

I went to the VP website and looked at the distillation curves and they all seem to have pretty low end evaporation temps but the difference being that the MRX01 and MR2 are oxygenated and both have slightly lower evaporation temps than the C12.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Don't forget the Ultimate 4 as a good choice for a stock 2 stroke. The MR-2 and MRX01 I feel are more suited for the small bores or high compression 2 or 4 strokes. The C12 at 108 and the MR2 at 102 for motor octane numbers, seem to be a bit of overkill for a stock bike.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
MR2 is a bit more expensive than C12, but smells so much nicer. :)

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i havent seen the MRX01, but the MR2 has oxgenates and (maybe) isoprenes etc like the nutec fuels, so all things being equal these fuels will probably yield more "power" than C12.

i suppose its all down to what you want to achieve. I suppose if you want to throw down $50-80 on a can of exotic race gas in order to get more power then youve probably already laid down some cash on some hop ups!:)

whitesands26

Mod Ban
Nov 17, 2002
C12 is already expensive enough for me...So the "power" gains to be had with the oxygenated fuels may not be worth the extra expense...I've been out of the sport for a while so I'm having to re learn some of this fuel stuff..I ran trick gas years ago but I think I'm going to use VP this time and stick with it...

Steve, are you currently using ultimate 4 in your bikes ? What do you ride and are you happy with it's performance ? You'd think that 108 octane may be a bit much for a stock bike but if it works well I'm sure it's worth it...

Can any of you other guys tell a difference with the oxygenated fuels or are you happy just running plain C12 ?

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
For a 250 C12 should be the best in both performance and price. Ultimate 4 is suprisingly good too but it needs to be jetted richer due to the 6.2% oxygen. MR2 does work fine in a 250 as does the MRX01 but the extra power is made at the upper RPM limit and few of us mortals run a 250 like a 125.

All of these fuels in my testing have increased throttle response in all rpm ranges. That is what you feel the most...that instant snap and clean power. Price now becomes the issue C12 at $5 / gal , U4 $6.50, MR2 $10, MX1 $14 (ouch). C12 is still the easiest to jet and maintain in weather changes.

Octane of all these will be fine for a stocker or mild mod motor.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
whitesands.

if you are on a budget, just go with the C12- its a good all around fuel and an excellent choice for a 250. expect to lean the jetting accross the board also.

in my opinion, race fuel is more about throttle response and consistancy than just high octane numbers.

whitesands26

Mod Ban
Nov 17, 2002
Thanks guys......C-12 is cheaper than I thought...I recently went to a 1 size leaner main jet for the hotter air temps but it felt a little too lean(noticed surging on deceleration on a short test run) so maybe using the C12 will richen things up to balance it out...
The local shop was selling a 5 gallon drum for $38...I'll have to call around to see if I can get it for much less of a premium...

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Sealed 5 gallon cans are best. I just reorder C12 and 6/gal will be the new rate since the Irag thing raised the prices some. Some guys pump it from drums for $5.50 a gal but it is not as fresh. C12 should help stablize your jetting with out a doubt over pump gas.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…