Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I just bought 2 of the Cylender VP fuel jugs and when I was filling it up at the gas station, I noticed on the side it says "this is not a gas container" stamped into the plastic. Does anyone know why it says that? :silly:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I think they are desinged to be transfer vessels. Plastic isn't suitable for storage of fuel.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by ktmboy
Maybe it's a legal matter since all the new cans are supposed to be vented to be approved cans.
Is this a California-only requirement? I thought I remember some special footnote pertaining to fuel jugs sold in California.

So the cans have to be vented full-time? As in gas fumes leaking out? Or is it a special vent that just traps the fumes?

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Interesting document from the California Air Resources Board:

CLICK

And a couple year old proposal from Pennsylvania:

CLICK

And one from Connecticut:

CLICK

It looks like most of the stuff I can find is specifically related to "Portable" fuel containers and it seems the two big issues are permeation and spill proof spouts. Notice that all three articles mention that previously manufactured fuel containers do not have to meet these requirements. I'm sure there is more info out there somewhere.

Last edited:

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
California legal gas cans suck. I spilled more the one time I used it than all other times combined.

I grabbed a few cans in AZ earlier this year while visiting my wifes parents.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Yes, the new cans suck. I picked up a VP can at a vendor booth at Adelanto G.P. last year. Once they were sold out all you could find here in Cali were the 'new' cans.

Top Bottom