vp fuel worth anything for a casual rider?

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
i heard race fuel can add power, but dont really know. Would it make a difference for non-racing 125 riders looking for more bottom?
which brand of vp, and any drawbacks to running it?

thanks.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
The real value of race fuel is throttle response and consistant performance. As a casual rider, to save some money, you might consider a race fuel/pump fuel mix of 50:50.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
You might want to look for some other brand of fuel with a lower price than VP.

You can probably get most of the benefits with a lot less cost.

I'm paying $4.75/gal for 105 octane and it's working quite nicely. Better throttle response than I ever had before.

For example:

http://www.renegadepro1.com/

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
You'll get far more out of spending time getting the jetting sorted out than you will from ANY fuel. Once you exhaust all avenues from jetting then and only then do you have any chance of gaining an advantage from race fuel. If you are just a casual weekend rider then it would be really difficult to justify the expense of race fuel unless you are really picky about throttle response.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Of course, once you get your jetting correct and change to race fuel, you'll have to re-jet all over again.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
CaptainObvious said:
Of course, once you get your jetting correct and change to race fuel, you'll have to re-jet all over again.

Yep - In many cases you'll be starting the fine tuning process all over again. All the more reason why it's not a good value for the casual weekend rider if the expectation is improved response or performance.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
where did you find 105 octane,, best we have here that ive seen, is 93. i live in tupelo, ms (northeast ms). that would be cool just to find some higher octane, maybe even some 97.

thanks.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
At the link I posted the company sells 102 to 120 octane.

http://www.renegadepro1.com/racing_fuels.html

They're a regional company located in Kentucky. They have outlets here in Ohio, and I see a reference to Tennessee on their site. You could call - they might have outlets in Mississippi, or they might ship the fuel - I don't know.

Check out the site - the phone number is on there.

fastwes

Nov 29, 2000
The real potential gain is not in just throttle response but in what it can do for power, if it's a two stroke. I found for trail riding that my 144 Honda climbed hills, long soft nasty steep ones with my fat ass on it, WAY better with 18 to 1 compression and 100 octane than with lower 14 to 1 and pump gas. It didn't bog down nearly as much and was much more fun at Tower City on the hills. Just a simple personal observation. God, it makes me want to go out riding just thinking about it!

Top Bottom