dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Is anyone running the WER stablizer? I sold my scott's with my KTM and I'm looking to put a stablizer on my Husky. Looks like the only options for my bike are the Scott's or WER. I didn't want to go to fat bars so if I go with the Scott's I'll run my 7/8's bar and just bend the crossbar.

I'd like to check out the WER though. I've been told that they do not have that sticky tar feeling that you can get from the Scott's and that MX guys like the WER. It's a light pull and works well for enduros/MX, but what about desert. Patrick Garrahan emailed and said that he and his brother run heavy oil for the California races and it works well. They are runninng Enduros and GP's (WORC) and not desert races though.

Any input would help. I'll do more enduros this year than desert or GP, but I ride the tracks and I was hoping to run two or more D37 desert/GP's.

thanks Ed

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I have a Scotts on my current bike (came with it when I bought it), but ran a WER for about 5 years.  Both work great.  I would be perfectly happy to live with either one.

Heavier oil (10w fork oil) in the WER makes a noticeable difference in where you have the adjuster set, but unless you want a lot of damping, I think light oil will still give plenty of damping effect for most riders and conditions.  With light oil (5w fork oil) I liked my WER adjusted at one turn out for most trails (but would go all the way stiff for very high speed or lots of rocks) but with 10w oil I'd run it two turns out for most trails.

To me, the adjust on the fly feature of the Scotts is nice if the terrain changes a lot during a ride or race.  But having the damper where you want it mounted counts for something, too.   

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Dirt bike dave, It's good to hear that you had good luck with the WER. I like the idea of having the unit off the bars, but like you said I can remember adjusting my scott's while riding. I go over the bars enough, so I don't need to be leaning over to adjust anything while moving.

Thanks for the info though, I'm leaning towards the WER due to mounting set-up and the ligther feel.

Thanks

Ed

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
My WER has been on three bikes (DR350, then RMX, and last son's RMX); about to go on a fourth (KX/KDX).

It's fine for the desert, especially enduros as it frees the upper bar area for timekeeping gear, and has a huge following amongst east-coast woods riders.

I have a GPR, and I like it in the desert better (more resistance than stock WER and better for higher-speed riding), but not in the mountains due to the return-to-center resistance. For that reason I'm looking for a trade with someone who has a Scott's or WER.

I've yet to try a Scott's on my rides.

Each have their plusses and minuses.

GPR: free rebuilds forever, but in action resists both aways and return to center (some like it, others don't). GPR is growing in popularity, especially with the desert crowd.

The WER is a space saver; no special top-clamp mounting required, but does require some headlight shroud/number plate thrimmings and mounting to fit, requires regular maintenance, and wear parts replacements. Targeted for the woods rider?

Scott's has advanced circuitry, but does cost for maintenance like the WER; longtime popular with desert racers.

drBill

Dec 2, 2001
You might check out the v.2.0 GPR if you're interested in non cluttered bars. It acts as the bar perch and sits below the bars. I love mine, but have changed to a lighter oil (7.5w) since I ride a lot of really tight technical stuff. In the desert it's just fabulous, but I still don't go to the max settings. I think I will end up changing to 5w oil as I still have a bit too much resistance in the tight stuff. GPR is great about service, etc..

Bill

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by drBill
You might check out the v.2.0 GPR if you're interested in non cluttered bars. It acts as the bar perch and sits below the bars.
Bill

Do you have to buy new top triple clamps with the GPR 2.0?

drBill

Dec 2, 2001
Holeshot, It depends on your bike. On the KLX the lower bar perch is part of the upper triple, so I did have to buy a new upper triple clamp. (I didn't mind cause it got me a little more offset) If your lower bar perches are removable from your upper triple, I don't think you would need a new upper triple. If in doubt, call GPR, they're quite helpful.

Skippyams

Jan 24, 2001
Help in the flushing and refilling of the WER dampener?

dirt bike dave said:
I have a Scotts on my current bike (came with it when I bought it), but ran a WER for about 5 years.  Both work great.  I would be perfectly happy to live with either one.

Heavier oil (10w fork oil) in the WER makes a noticeable difference in where you have the adjuster set, but unless you want a lot of damping, I think light oil will still give plenty of damping effect for most riders and conditions.  With light oil (5w fork oil) I liked my WER adjusted at one turn out for most trails (but would go all the way stiff for very high speed or lots of rocks) but with 10w oil I'd run it two turns out for most trails.

To me, the adjust on the fly feature of the Scotts is nice if the terrain changes a lot during a ride or race.  But having the damper where you want it mounted counts for something, too.   

Skippyams

Jan 24, 2001
Need help I lost my manual and can't remember which hole to squirt the fluid into. Any help would be most grateful. If you also know the web site to WER if there is one.
Thanks alot.

Top Bottom