julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
So I bolted up a W.E.R. damper that I scored for $80 on fleabay. It's in great shape, no leaks or anything.

sorry bout the crappy pic.....
IMG_0156.jpg

I had it on last Saturday riding Brushy Mt, NC, but I honestly didn't even think about it while we were riding. It was adjusted pretty far out, and I don't think it had much affect. I was honestly too busy focusing on staying upright in the snow slush and mud and trying to feel for how the bike was running after the rebuild to even think about it. I rode my buddies KTM200 for a good part of the day as well. He's put different forks on and adjusted suspension a bit. His bike was MUCH better overall as was mine. The old KDX is absolutely screamin! I honestly never thought it would have as much power as it does now. I guess I kinda just forgot about the damper altogether, lol.... Down there on the fender, out of sight, out of mind. :whoa:

When I got home I changed the oil for 7.5wt checked it out real well for proper operation. The manual is very informative and gives you a good impression of how the damper SHOULD work. I have mounted it back up and set it about 1/4 turn out. Feels much better just loopin around the house and yard. Feels MUCH better @ 50 headin down the road:ohmy:. The front of the bike is much more stable, head shake is pretty much non-existent. I can't wait to get out in the woods on a good day and see how well or how badly it works out there!

Last edited:

longshore58

Dec 31, 2008
Looks like a great investment for $80.
My 1991 has some pretty good headshake/pucker effect on some of the Bonneville Salt Flat/light sand straightaways we find ourselves on sometimes..

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Yeah, I found myself frightened a few times up in Hatfield McCoy last summer. I think I'm gonna like this a lot. Been playing around with the bike last night and this morning. Cut the bars down to 29", played with the clickers a bit, and messing around with the Damper. Wish I had a bigger yard! 3/4 of an acre is not enough space.

Oh, and that's what a KX5 number plate looks on an 89 kdx with a yz250 front end, lol. Looks better since I got it the rest of the way installed. It's kinda just stuck on there for that picture.

I got moose guards for mini bars on the way to fit (hopefully) my now cut bars.

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
If your head has stopped shaking & you can't for any other reason tell it's on your bike, it's doing it's job. I've had one for 12 years & it still works good.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Porkchop said:
If your head has stopped shaking & you can't for any other reason tell it's on your bike, it's doing it's job. I've had one for 12 years & it still works good.

Good to know man! That's pretty much what you get from the manual. If you can't tell it's there, it's adjusted correctly, lol. I wish I was out riding today, but I'm stuck home on call for the hospital.

Top Bottom