Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I've got a WER from my KDX that I've been considering just selling and not installing on the KTM. First off it looks like a pretty tight fit under the headlight, the front fender brace would have to be removed and it still may require some hacking to get it on plus more mounting hardware. We don't have much ion the way of rocks and I'm not getting any headshake at all so is there anyone here that has installed one, did it go well and are you happy you did?
Thanks all fellow Katoomers...

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
Fred, I'm surprised you're not getting any headshake. I've the stock triple clamps on my '00 300EXC, and I'm surprised you're not getting any on your new bike (especially with the 18mm triple clamps). I'm curious to see your thoughts on the bike after you've ridden it a while -- I've ordered an '03, and have been entertaining the 18 triple clamps, but have been hesitant due to my fear of increasing the headshake issue.
Anyway, the cost for the KTM specific hardware is minimal, since you've the WER already. My WER fits great with a slight relocation of the headlight and my front fender has held up fine without the brace. I'd say put it on just for the peace of mind....

jimicarl

Aug 7, 2001
please allow me to mirror Magoo's comments. i took the WER damper off my KDX and installed it on my '02 EXC 400. like Magoo says..., cost for the mounting kit is minimal (i got the weld-on frame bracket). i've not missed the fender brace (even with a few glorious get-offs). relocating & hacking away at the headlight plate is not a problem. i KNOW that the thing saves my butt at least six times each ride (rocks or not).

to relocate the number plate:
1. move it up to the point that the upper rubber "clamps" are against the bottom of the triple clamp
2. cut a couple small pieces of automotive fuel hose to slip over the number plate mounting pegs on the fender (just long enough for the number plate to sit on)
3. start hacking away at the number plate (small knife & rat-tail ******* file) to make room for the damper's connecting rod & swing-arm.

this probably compromises the strength of the number plate a little bit, but i don't think you'll miss it unless you corn-hole a tree just right.

let me know if you'd like a photo. i'd be happy to email a digital to you.

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Fred if you've got it use it!!! They all suffer a little headshake a steering damper is always worth the effort and money to fit.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
OK guys, thanks for the information. I'll call WER and order the hardware. It is freshly rebuilt so it would be a shame to not keep it. Cheap insurance I guess.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
fred you shuld just sell it to me! "it has green all over it!" it might contaminate that pumkin :yeehaw:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Sorry Pat, mounting kit is on order. But at $100 with headlight relocation hardware...sheesh!

jim - I'd also like a pic if you can swing it.
fthompson1@chartermi.net

ktmatk

Apr 7, 2002
I am switching a WER from another bike to my 02 300 - tell me if you think this will work. I relocated my black box using an Enduro Engineering relocater, then cut the bracket from WER that was supposed to hold the box so that it doesn't stick up into the headlight. I haven't actually mounted the damper yet but I theorize it should mount up without moving the headlight (other than cutting space for the damper link to move). I'll sure be disappointed if that doesn't work, but hopefully it will keep me from boogering up my headlight (and save money since a dci relocater is $8.95 or something like that).

ktmwes

Sep 23, 2000
Originally posted by Fred T
I've got a WER from my KDX that I've been considering just selling and not installing on the KTM. First off it looks like a pretty tight fit under the headlight, the front fender brace would have to be removed and it still may require some hacking to get it on plus more mounting hardware. We don't have much ion the way of rocks and I'm not getting any headshake at all so is there anyone here that has installed one, did it go well and are you happy you did?
Thanks all fellow Katoomers...
I'm really glad that I rode my 03 before putting on the steering damper, compared to my 02 the 03 does not need as much in the damper area, it's very stable with no headshake. I still put it back on but it's more for me than the bike.

tbh

Aug 16, 2002
You can mount it upside down to the top clamp and behind the head light. Both the frame mount and damper mount have to be made. I cut and filed mine out of some scrap aluminum. It took some time but it works very well. You also have to lower the fender about 1/8" so the damper doesn't hit the bulb holder. I used a piece aluminum but you could also use a piece of plastic. The best part of this mod is that I didn't cut or drill ANY parts of my bike. I can try and post some pics if anyone is interested in what it looks like.
Dscf0069_tn.jpg
[/url]

Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I now have some photos of the WER mounted to the '03 in my DRN gallery. You can sheck them out if interested. The install went well - The complete hardware set cost $100. :ugg:

Top Bottom