fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I was going to tell this story under the Woodsy situation forum, but with 100 responses my dial up system could not get me access.

Woodsy and I have been playing phone tag for the past couple of weeks. Finally, tonight we talked. It was around dinner time and I was concerned that I had interrupted his family dinner.

According to Woodsy I had interrupted only his evening walk. We both laughed about the Walkin' with Woodsy theme. It was great to catch up with my riding buddy. We talked about Marquette...next summer we will ride together north of the bridge my friend. We also talked about Trailfest. Even he is not able to ride, Woodsy will be at the clubgrounds in October.

I encourage everyone to take the trip down the path of "Walkin' with Woodsy". Talk to you soon Scott!

Mike

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Truely Mike - the pleasure was MINE!! You interrupted NOTHING as I just kept right on walking the whole time I was on the phone!! The "walkin with woodsy") platform worked out REAL well!!
What a pleasure to hear your tale of the Loose Mooses intimadating "Moon Rocks" and the fun you encountered on that GREAT adventure! I hafta tell you that between people like the Marzec's, the Napper's, the Magoo's, the Young Teds and now yourself I am POSITIVELY going to get up there to see that trail for myself someday SOON!!! :thumb:
Thanks again for the moments out of your busy day! I REALLY enjoyed it!
Oh yea, if all goes well I WILL be up for Trailfest - at least to say HI and hear some more GREAT stories/tales/benchracing/off colored rumors and down right LIES (depending on who is there) :)
Besides, I just gotta hear that song titled "Davie and the Dinghy" (was that a #1 hit last year?)
STILL STEAMIN :ride:
Woodsy

Last edited:

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
woodsy said:
What a pleasure to hear your tale of the Loose Mooses intimadating "Moon Rocks" and the fun you encountered on that GREAT adventure! I hafta tell you that between people like the Marzec's, the Napper's, the Magoo's, the Young Teds and now yourself I am POSITIVELY going to get up there to see that trail for myself someday SOON!!! :thumb:Woodsy

Never fear, Woodsy, we'll have a SPECIAL ride planned for you when you come up this way! Keep healin'! :aj:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Sounds GREAT! Then I can say, as one of my favorite cartoon charectors always said - "ohhhhhhhhh Magoo, you've done it again" :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
I CANT WAIT
Woodsy

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
This makes it one more goal to add to the list. Progress is certainly under way.
Young Ted

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Woodsy I need to talk to you sometime. I need a few tips on crating a bike and what’s the best way to ship it. It was really good to speak to you up at CC. You never looked better. Have you had a chance to do any reading? If you've noticed, Aaron has a theme to the selection of the Zines he picked for you? Give me a ring when you get a chance. :worship:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Marlin:

Yes I have been doing a lot of reading in those mags!! GOOD STUFF TOO!! I have pretty much inhaled this batch and ready for a new set, when and if you guys are headed this way let me know!! Or, I would be more then happy to stick them in a Priority Mail Box and ship them to you!! Tell Aaron that I REALLY appreciate the variety of his selection that he loaned me! :worship:
About shipping a bike.. There are a TON of places that will ship bikes. I use Overnite because they are the closest for me. They REQUIRE crating and I simply checked with them for crating requirements BEFORE I did the work and took my first load to the terminal! Because of my involvement with smaller bikes (Z50’s, Suzuki Trail Hoppers and such), I have used UPS quite a bit too.
For UPS, their weight requirements are 150 puonds total weight of package. They have width/height requirements too that may require you to remove handlebars/foot pegs and the like squeeze under limits (I don’t recall these exact measurements). I usually cut a piece of lightweight OSB board the width and length of the bike, then I take cardboard (go to your nearest appliance store and get a refrigerator box – WORKS GREAT) and bend the cardboard using the SBO board as a template! It is usually necessary to double wall the package os the first wrap I use a LOT of shipping tape to make sure the cardboard is going to stay put. I also use foam pieces to keep the package symmetrical. Once you get to the second wrap of cardboard you can make a fairly symmetrical package!! Costs on doing shipping this way is WAY cheaper then a Freight Company!! Oh yea, EVERY shipping company I have ever dealt with requires removal of gas and oils! I always drain the flammable fluids that are easiest/and have NEVER done forks or rads and NEVER had a problem!
For Overnite, I always build the lightest crate possible (pass the savings on to my customers!!). I start with a measurement of the length and width of the bike. I leave the handle bars on because this width adds stability to the crate – I ship the bike WHOLE and ready to ride minus fluids! I use drywall screws NOT nails for everything! I use Nylon rope (no scratching and most thieves wont fool with rope like they will tie downs!) and eye screws to secure the bike. Start with a base 1 inch wider then the actual length and width of the machine. Build the base out of 3 – 2x4’s (one per side and 1 in middle) running full length of the base. I then use 1x4’s for the top and bottom of the base. I will usually use 2 of these on the top of the ends and 1 at the bottom of the ends. I also place 2 1x4’s at center of underside of base. PRE-DRILL everything except 2x4’s with a drill just a tad smaller then the shank of the screws your using – this will eliminate cracking!! After I have the base built the base as described above I roll the bike up onto the base – get it where its going to travel and mark the 2x4 that it is setting on at center line of each tire. Roll the bike back off and put a 1x4 under each tire – BASE IS DONE!! Screw eye bolts into the top of the side 2x4s even with the handle bars and someplace rearward that you can tie rope thru bike (swing arm is ok but sub frame is better!). Roll the bike onto the base and tie down with the rope around the bars/rear end! COMPRESS the forks and tie off!!
Now take rope and go around the 1x4’s under the tires and come back between the spokes and over the rims – this will eliminate rolling! Take shrink wrap and wrap bike REAL good!!
I build my side walls out of 1x3 furring strips for liteness! Build a top first by using the same measurements as your base. put the 1x3’s on their 1 inch side facing upwards and pre drill before running the screws in. Now cut four corner uprights out of 1x3’s. Make them full length from the ground to the top edge of the top section. Attach the uprights at the sides of the base, and then attatch the top. Now run another piece of 1x3 at an angle across each side and end of the crate – this will REALLY stiffen the package. I put 1x4’s across each top side end and then 1x3’s placed every foot across the top to add stability!
I try to keep “slip sheets” (this are thin layers of cardboard) around to use for covering the outside of the container. After I have a cardboard covering on I write in BIG LETTERS – DO NOT STACK ABOVE on each side and end! I also write the “ship 2” address on all sides and top just for the heck of it!
Most of the shippers I have ever dealt with ship by weight. Using the crate method I have described above you can take a bath room scale, roll the bike up on it and weigh both ends of the bike one at a time – add the weights together then add 70 pounds to the weight and you will be within reason for getting a shipping quote.
If you print this out and make a list of questions off it I will be glad to work you thru them!!
Hope this helps!!!! :cool:
RIDE ON BROTHER!!!
Woodsy

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hey Pat, you might wanna do a Google on shipping bikes too. Depending on where, what and when you are shipping there are some company's out there jsut dieing for the business - you may find a shipper that will do it CHEAPER by "strap and ship" - NO CRATING!!
Good Luck :thumb:
Scott

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom