tech1

May 22, 2005
Could someone please give me a ride report on this trail system in the Francis Marion National Forest In South Carolina? What type of terrain,loop size,is it woth the drive from the Myrtle Beach area? Thanks for the help.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
If you go shortly after they work the trail, it is wonderful. Otherwise, it is mile after mile of sand whoops between trees. Not that that is entirely bad, because you WILL get better at whoops and sand riding. I do think it is worth the drive.

I didn't see the distance, but there is more info here:
http://www.familyriders.net/forest.htm
...and here...
http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/fms/rec/wamcycle.pdf

Hmm...those look the same.

Toby259

Jan 5, 2005
They have just groomed the trails within the last couple weeks and they are in excellent condition. They tend to have some little loose sand and can be dusty if there hasn't been rain in a while. So check the weather before you go.

The trails consist of a north and south loop, each one being approximately 20 miles in length, with the north loop having an optional shorter cutoff for 6 miles. The trails are quad-width, and you will most likely see several of the big ones on the (blocking the) trail.

There is a nice staging area that is new this year and plenty of parking. The daily permit is $5 per rider.

tech1

May 22, 2005
Thanks for the info Toby,and High Lord, I may be heading down the week before July 4th to check out the area (thinking about relocating from the northeast to Conway area.) Any chance I could hook up with you guys ? It would be good to ride with someone who knows the trails.

Toby259

Jan 5, 2005
Tech1, I plan on leaving for a riding trip up to MI on Friday, July 1st. If you plan on riding before that, I would be happy to show you the trails.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I rarely get over that way, but check with me closer to that time and I'll see if I can swing it.

if you're interested in tracks, there are a couple nice ones near Augusta.

tech1

May 22, 2005
Thanks again for the replies guys, I should be in Conway SC On Sat. the 25th of june so if Sunday or any day during the week would be good let me know. I,m new to this board so I'm not sure if they have a PM feature or not to get in touch, if not I'll post again when I get down there. Time to set the bike up for those woops!!!!!

Top Bottom