Wanna save some coin at the pump? Check out "Hypermiling"

trakkerman

Nov 12, 2001
motometal said:
why would you say that? I agree with him...if you want to putt, then fine but not in the left lane and not during rush hour. To most folks, after a long day at work they would rather get home to their family earlier, than save .37 cents on fuel and sorry, but i'd have to side with getting home earlier (to each his own). Time is money. We are only allowed a finite number of seconds/minutes/hours here on earth, and i'd prefer to spend as minimal of an amount of that time as possible, droning to and from work etc.

Thank you, motometal. Recently, I figured out the amount of time I spend commuting for a year. When its all added up, I spend over 32 days/year (24/7). That's right, I can crawl into my vehicle June 1 and not emerge until July.

Sixds, when you are trying to save that 37 cents in fuel while on your way to the store to pick up that $7/gallon bottle of water, be considerate of others who would rather be at their destination.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I don't see where it's being inconsiderate. Les say that you and I are stuck in heavy traffic, and you are behind me. Exactly how am I slowing down your progress by having some space between me and the person in front of me. Most times I'll beat the butt-muncher, who feels the need to swap lanes back and forth and brake/gas/brake/gas the whole way, to the exit ramp or the merge.

I will agree with you on the passing lane thing. . . to a point. Nobody should be in the left lane unless they are actively passing someone. If I am doing 65 and passing slower traffic, get off my rear bumper. Once I'm done passing AND I have a safe distance between me and the car I'm passing I'll pull over out of your way.

May 10, 2007
look at it this way
you will be at home before the guy saving gas but who will have more money
you who is always accelerating and stopping and accelerating getting like 10mpg
or the guy slowly accelerating and coasting then braking and using like 30ish mpg
lets see gas is about $3.00 a gallon lets say a 40 mile commute thats about where i am in relation to philly maybe 50 miles
so lets see 10mpg thats 4 gallons thats 12 dollars one way. times 2 for one day
thats $24 times 20 days a month thats $480 a month times 12 thats 5760

______

dude saving gas is getting

30 mpg is gonna be 1gallon and a fourth i think (im doing this in my head)
so thats 375 a trip
which is 750 a day which is
150 a month
which is1800 a year
which is almost 4000 dollars saved

hmm with that you could buy a bike that is a couple years old

this was a VERY VERY VERY rough calculation im just using it to prove a point so dont go all WELL YOU DIDNT DO THIS OR THIS OR THIS its a rough equation.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
If you can go from 10 mpg to 30 mpg on only driving habits, then WOW.....

As for you guys complaining about us that want to save some $$$.
I'm not talking about doing 20 mph under the speed limit in the left hand lane, or coasting at 5 mph to every light from 100 yards back. I'm just talking about taking it a little easier on the gas and brakes than "normal". I still drive 80+ mph on the freeway, which is about on par with traffic around here. I just won't plant my foot when the light changes and hold it there until 15 feet from the next red light, which way too many people seem to do.

May 10, 2007
well if you are constantly accelerating and then stopping then speeding up rapidly then stopping

our cars have things that measure the gas mileage we get (cuz they are hybrids)and when they accelerate they go to like 20 from an average of like 40

thats a lot.

trakkerman

Nov 12, 2001
I agree that moderation is the key. I drive a pick em up truck, so I am aware of gas consumption.

If you are in heavy traffic and drive like the video showed, people will pull in front of you, thus putting everyone behind you behind schedule. Also, it drives me crazy when a light turns green and only 4-5 vehicles get through and intersection instead of 6-8 because people slowly accelerate through the intersection.

Come on down and drive my route for a month. I garauntee you'll have a different outlook.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
not likely :) I would guess that I'm about as set in my ways as you are yours. I spent a number of years on the road so no trump there either ;). So what if someone wants the space in front of me? I'm telling you that more often than not I still end up at the same place at the same time as the guy who is rushing.

My pickup gets 16 on a good day; push the speeds above 65 and stomp on the gas from a dead stop and it just goes south from there. If the guy behind me wants to get to work earlier he should scoot over a lane and get in front of me. I'm usually in the right hand lane anyway so there is room. :)

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
flyingfuzzball said:
well if you are constantly accelerating and then stopping then speeding up rapidly then stopping

our cars have things that measure the gas mileage we get (cuz they are hybrids)and when they accelerate they go to like 20 from an average of like 40

thats a lot.

Yea, but you can't accelerate for an entire tank of gas now, can you? Cutting mileage in half for a whole tank takes some very aggressive driving.

The only way to get my Jeep to get 1/2 the normal mileage is to go wheel in deep sand or wet heavy snow all day. Or let my girlfriend drive it.

I'm with Papakeith on the driving habit thing. I'm pretty set in my ways, I could care less if someone wants to get to the other side of town 4 seconds quicker. I don't drive super slow, but at the same time I'm not trying to "win" some imaginary race either. I spend approximatly 200 miles a day on the road in Tucson, Tempe, and Phoenix, so I do deal with a few other drivers on ocasion. :nener:

trakkerman

Nov 12, 2001
Papakeith said:
If the guy behind me wants to get to work earlier he should scoot over a lane and get in front of me. I'm usually in the right hand lane anyway so there is room. :)

I hear ya. You are the courteous driver. I'm talking about the cell phone yakin', donut eatin', mascara applyin', newspaper readin', hypermilin' general public that drive like they are the only ones on the road.

[Rant mode off]

Sorry for the derail.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
trakkerman said:
I hear ya. You are the courteous driver. I'm talking about the cell phone yakin', donut eatin', mascara applyin', newspaper readin', hypermilin' general public that drive like they are the only ones on the road.

[Rant mode off]

Sorry for the derail.

I love the cell phone people that can't hold speed. I'll have the cruise set and someone will pass me. 2 minutes later they are on the phone going 15 mph slower. 5 minutes later they'll pass again. And so on and so on.

Then there was the make-up applying chick. Looked like a stereo type blonde air head, putting on make-up while barrelling down the freeway in an H2. I noticed her right away because she was driving inbetween the two lanes. :nod:

My absolute favorite to date. A guy driving with his knees, holding a dinner plate in one hand and eating off it with a fork in the other. It looked like instead of sitting down wiht the family he just walked out the door with dinner and hit the freeway instead. :coocoo:

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I think the older i get, the more I value TIME, and the less I value MONEY...and i'm not even "that" old yet. But again, this just depends on the person...some just see money as a necessary evil, a "tool", and others like to feel like they have "one upped" the system by saving money, buying at sales, etc. Yes it has a bit to do with how much money one has but really comes down to psychology, and how we were brought up.

regarding holding people up, let's say at rush hour....ever really analyze that? Look at the gridlock and think, if everyone would just go the same speed, say the speed limit, the cars would all be moving. Well, all it takes is two cars, side by side going slow (maybe trying to save money on gas), and miles of traffic are backed up. And statistically, there will be a certain % of vehicles that want to go slow for whatever reason (sometimes they are in mini vans, sometimes not). Right lane is more considerate, but in reality at rush hour, there aren't enough lanes as it is, so really all the lanes need to keep moving at a good pace.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
trakkerman said:
I'm talking about the cell phone yakin', donut eatin', mascara applyin',<snip>that drive like they are the only ones on the road.

Oooooh . . . you mean my wife! :nod: :laugh: :uh:

May 10, 2007
uhhh traffic isnt caused by 2 people going slow

its just the pure volume of people on the road that slows it down.

then you have accidents and things like that.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
flyingfuzzball said:
Actually, it's typically caused by the 1 guy that taps his brakes but never even stops. This slight slowing might be due to the other driver that waited until the last minute to jump onto the turn lane, on change lanes, or just somebody entering the freeway at the wrong speed. The volume of traffic does contribute greatly, as none of these situations have a great effect when traffic is light. If people could maintain a the same, steady pace in the left lanes, keep and adequate distance between each other, and leave the right lane for incoming and outgoing traffic, as well as transition between lanes without disrupting the other drivers, traffic jams would be greatly reduced. The reality is that this is only a fantasy because there is no way to change the driving habits of a self absorbed population that doesn't realize that by working together they could all benefit.

trakkerman

Nov 12, 2001
FruDaddy said:
The reality is that this is only a fantasy because there is no way to change the driving habits of a self absorbed population that doesn't realize that by working together they could all benefit.

AMEN, Brotha!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
what was that? I wasn't paying attention.

I was too busy with my own stuff.

trakkerman

Nov 12, 2001
flyingfuzzball said:

uuuuh, yes you can...when you have two pimps having a conversation while driving side-by-side down the Skuykill (rt 76) through Philadelphia at 10 under the speed limit. ;) been there, seen that.

Don't get me started about the gaper delay. Four mile backup on Northbound lanes because of fender bender on Southbound lanes. Its amazing how five lanes of traffic can almost come to a stop for an accident on the other side of the highway.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
flyingfuzzball said:

then you have accidents and things like that.

Hmmmm....birthday September 1992...so you have how much experience driving in heavy traffic? Actually, have you driven a car yet?

May 10, 2007
doesnt matter im not an idiot

you dont have to be old to know things. with age comes experience not smarts.

you saying that because im 14 i dont know what im talking about is ignorance. you dont even know me. and that pisses me off you have judged me for my age not who i am.

you are older big deal. that doesnt mean you know more then me.

oh and yea looky here http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0931283.html

50% of traffic is caused by Bottlenecks (traffic demand
exceeds roadway capacity)

which is having a large volume of cars on the road which i believe i said.

Traffic incidents 25% of total congestion that is covered by accidents and things like that.

http://www.lacity.org/lahd/curriculum/gettingfacts/mobility/traffic.html

The factors behind traffic congestion. Traffic congestion occurs when the number of cars on the road exceeds the capacity of that road

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_congestion

It occurs when traffic demand is greater than the capacity of a road

God it ticks me off when people think that kids are dumb cuz they are younger then they are. that is ignorance.

Last edited:

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I did not say your were dumb or ignorant. I ALLUDED that, based on your age, you most likely had very little experience actually driving a car in heavy traffic. Sorry, but this makes your oppinion on this matter lack a bit of credibility. Your street rep is low, per se. :ride:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
We own a 17 yr old that also thinks that intelligence simply is instilled into a person from birth and what he thinks is, is. Hard headed as all get out, and makes many of the same arguments that you do, young man.
BUT...he is a kid and has a lot to learn. He isn't even half as smart as he thinks he is, even though he makes good grades, and holds a good job.

Jr...you have to realize that each of us older folks thought just exactly like you do now. We also thought that because we had a clear mind we were possibly as smart as anyone could possibly be. We too thought that time had nothing to do with intellegence. Oh, how wrong we were. And there is not one older person here who thinks that they were even close to as smart as they are now, when they were 14 years old.

Puberty and adolescence is a crappy deal...but time will get your through it.
And make all the arguments you want to...throw mud and sticks if you want to, it won't change the fact that you are a kid with LOTS to learn.
And the faster you realize this fact, the smarter you will become.

I know all this sort of talk just makes you mad...but that is because you are a kid with lots to learn. Doesn't that just piss you off? :)
(Lol....I love to piss off our kid too...great sport! But being pissed off, and how to handle it, is another of those lessons to learn about)

Top Bottom