Want a dual purpose bike, comments appreciated.

reyals

May 17, 2006
HI, I'm new to the board, first post, coming here to get some advice on selecting a dual purpose bike.
1) I weigh 320 lbs, 6 foot3
2) I am physically fit and strong like bull
3) I plan to ride a mix of hardpacked roads, asphalt and sandy two tracks
4) Street bike and a few guest rides off road, rode a buddies 2 stroke 500cc, it's pretty fast. Ride sleds in the winter, last season 2200 miles w/poor seasonal conditions.
5) Not likely I'll be racing unless it's a wide-open drag for giggles.
6) I'm capable of making my own repairs right down to the crank.
7) No preference, want reliability and decent ride quality on two tracks
8) Don't like dealers. Too many bad experiences.
9) $2500-ish
10) I ride a near-stock '83 V65 street bike, drag it occasionally; I have several snowmobiles, 1000cc, 800 and 600 near-stock trail machines and a 1450cc nitrous Open Mod ice dragger, fast as hell. Power doesn't scare me and my size lets me handle bigger, torquey machines. I have a second home in Northern Michigan and plan to use the bike I buy there. I would like to be able to take a passenger (child) occasionally, be able run into town for a gallon of milk, cruise a highway if necessary, and be able to ride two tracks, fire lanes as well as hardpacked dirt roads. No jumping unless unintentional……

I've just started looking at dual purpose machines. I have found a 98 Kawi KLR650 that I can buy cheap, 4000 miles in good condition. I like the large tank and ability to ride a passenger. Seems to run good. It feels a bit heavy and I wonder how it'll do in sandy two-tracks.

Any opinions on this bike, rideability and durability, or any recommendations in the used bike $2500 price range?
Thanks for any input.

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
KLR650 is just an awful off road bike. It is more like a 4 cylinder Jeep, really more of a road/mild dirt cruiser.

Buy a used Suzuki DRZ400S, I think you want a 2002 or later..... You'll need a set of fatboy springs on both ends if you want the bike to ride right....

Krabill

May 10, 2006
The DRZ400S isn't all that much lighter than the KLR. Yes, it's a little lighter and it has a little more power, but you lose the huge gas tank and smooth highway ride with it.

If you're going to be almost all dirt with it, go DR650, DRZ400 (converted/plated "E" is better than the "S"), or XRL650. If you are going to be doing easy off-road with the possibility of some highway traveling, the KLR is the beast for you.

I've taken mine on some pretty rough single track and yes, it's heavier than an mx bike, but it'll still go more places than you think it should. As a matter of fact, I haven't found anyplace it won't go yet ;)

Pondo

Aug 20, 2003
Krabill said:
The DRZ400S isn't all that much lighter than the KLR. Yes, it's a little lighter and it has a little more power, but you lose the huge gas tank and smooth highway ride with it.

If you're going to be almost all dirt with it, go DR650, DRZ400 (converted/plated "E" is better than the "S"), or XRL650. If you are going to be doing easy off-road with the possibility of some highway traveling, the KLR is the beast for you.

I've taken mine on some pretty rough single track and yes, it's heavier than an mx bike, but it'll still go more places than you think it should. As a matter of fact, I haven't found anyplace it won't go yet ;)

Keep in mind that the DRZ400 is light years ahead in technology compared to the KLR650.

Krabill

May 10, 2006
Light years? Eh, maybe, but I'll take my klr anyplace a drz will go and then some. Last Friday I rode my it 135 miles on the highway to a drag strip, beat a drz in the 1/4, then rode 135 miles back home. The drz was trailered to the strip ;) Being able to ride TO the place you are going to be riding is what sold me on the klr. Of course, ymmv.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
For the type of riding it sounds like you'll be doing a KLR650 sounds about perfect. Where in Northern Michigan will you be using this (I lived up there all my life until this year).

It is more like a 4 cylinder Jeep, really more of a road/mild dirt cruiser.
I slightly disagree with this. A 4 cylinder Jeep sucks the worst on the road, and isn't bad at all off road, assuming you aren't running nothing but dunes and sand hill climbs. Once you get in gnarly technical stuff and it's in low range there really isn't any disadvantage with the 4 banger, and you break fewer parts. :)

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I'd take the XRL or DRZ over the KLR anytime. If you push it the least little bit, the KLR stinks as bad on road as it does off. The front brake is weak, the front end dives under braking (even with the weak brake) and it pushes the front in turns something terrible. It wiggles at 80-95 mph like the other two, the fairing is useless in the wind and gets broken quite easily if you fall. The stiffer suspension on the XRL and DRZ will make them handle a whole lot better on twisty roads.

The only thing better about the KLR on the highway is the wider seat...and it makes your butt numb after an hour just like the other two.

The KLR is noticeably bigger than the XLR and DRZ. It is at least 50 lbs heavier than the DRZ and about 10 more than the XRL. I know the KLR is the worse in the sand again because of the weight and mushy suspension.

None of them have scary power. The KLR feels like it has has the most, but not by much. I think it's has more torque down low.

Krabill

May 10, 2006
New front springs = $52
New fork oil = $8
New rear spring = $72

Now it's just as good off-road as the xrl and 100x better on road than any of them. No more brake dive and better lean angle than a sportbike.

It's still a pig, but a very capable pig ;)

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
We did the springs and the oil and it is not even close off road. There is more to suspension than springs. 100x better on-road...surely you jest.

Don't get me wrong, it is capable...but so were HDs back in the day when people road them off highway. I saw Ewan McGregor ride that monster BMW around the world..so it is "capable" too.

But overall...the KLR is the worst of the three...unless you plan to very casually cruise around on it, in which case, the wide seat is nice for about 20 extra minutes and the super squishy suspension absorbs the roots faily well.

reyals

May 17, 2006
Ok guys I've kept my eyes open all season looking for something better. The end of season is a good time to buy anyway. Now I've zeroed in on a 2001 XR650R with the street kit (headlight, tailight,signals, horn I think?), and baja(?) kit.
THe speedo says 326 miles and the owner tells me that is actual. He put the on-road kit on it and the baja kit. The bike looks like 326 miles too. Nubbies still on the tire, pegs and handgrips not worn at all, etc. Story is the same thing it always is, owner has no time to ride it, kids, wife, etc...
Only thing that makes me worry is this guy put both the road kit and the baja kit on. Does this mean the small analog speedo was an add-on also? In other words it could have 100 hours on it before the speedo was added.
He described the baja kit as gutting the carbs, rejetting, and modding the exhaust. He claims it is over 70 hp and will run to 100 mph. Is this believable?
Anywaythis bike can be had for less than 3k, prolly 2700.
Being liquid cooled and a Honda, I would expect this thing to be bulletproof motor-wise. Anything in particular to watch out for?
See above post for rider info.

Krabill

May 10, 2006
The "baja" kit sounds like the "power-up" kit. Just opens up the motor and has nothing to do with the ds kit. Could he have ridden it before he added the odo? Sure, but it's still pretty bullet-proof even if it has a few extra hours on it.

I've ridden them and they ride pretty much like a KLR, but with a little less weight, more power, worse seat, smaller gas tank, and kick start only. Not a big deal, unless you drop it . . . then it's 5-10 minutes worth of kicking to get going again.

Top Bottom