Want to add a new pipe and silencer 03 kdx 220

Feint Drift

Oct 27, 2003
I have been reading about jetting and what not, but couldn't figure out if I needed to add different jets on the carb or make adjustments when I buy an after market pipe and silencer? What Pipe/Silencer combos are you guys running, I want good top end and bottom end as well(even though I think the low end is good enough already) However my main concern was that I might mess up my engine if I just pop on a better silencer and pipe?

*** Might be a good idea to post a sticky about what everyone is running on their bikes, just a thought! ***(sorta like this one on my jet ski forum, makes it easier to see what works the best!

Feint Drift

Oct 27, 2003
what jetting is needed, do you know the ball park cost of different jets and where I can pick them up? Do you have an example of a pipe and the size jet I will need?

Thanks!!!

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
jetting is truely unique to each rider, but if you buy a new pipe, the manufactuere of the new pipe should be able to give you a good idea on were to start... Jets are usually about $5 a piece.. www.sudco.com

s.d.duner

Oct 28, 2003
Fmf's website has jetting charts specific to each pipe and the pipe you buy.
On my '91 kdx 250, i just had to adjust the clip but no jet replacements.
Check it out

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: 'what jetting is needed...'
Stuck to the top of this forum, read 'every kdx rider should read...'.

It contains a link that you need to bookmark...cdave's justkdx.

You will find baseline (starting point) jetting info for popular modifications/bolt-ons for the kdx.

re: 'jetting is truely unique to each rider...'
Which is why any listing of who's running what wouldn't mean diddle.

Feint Drift

Oct 27, 2003
re: 'jetting is truely unique to each rider...'
Which is why any listing of who's running what wouldn't mean diddle. [/B]

I mean't parts as in pipes,reeds, anything bolt-on, the jets will then vary apon that and even those can be listed. I think if there was a list you would see a pattern as to what most people are running would give a clear idea about whats best (even certain brands over others). I guess you can argue that point and say well different people use their bikes for different things, true but you would see the pattern there as well, with more tight trail setups compared to those wider paths, with more speed involved.

But thanks for the feed back

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Besides jetting.....

Take note on cdave's site on the caution regarding 220 pistons. It's not always a considerably modified bike that blows up. :think:

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
Good choice on bikes!! From the address of the ski board it looks like you probably have an ultra 150 too. I just got an STX-12f this summer(first ski) and it really put a dent in my dirtbiking time this year.

I got the FMF rev on my 220 with the TC2 silencer. The bike still has a ton of low end and is easy to lug around in the tight stuff. The 220 is jetted so rich from the factory that it is safe to leave the carb alone after changing the pipe. For best performance though you will want to rejet for sure. make sure to remove or modify the airbox lid at the same time so you can get better airflow through that new pipe.

Feint Drift

Oct 27, 2003
Originally posted by KdxChode
Good choice on bikes!! From the address of the ski board it looks like you probably have an ultra 150 too. I just got an STX-12f this summer(first ski) and it really put a dent in my dirtbiking time this year.

I got the FMF rev on my 220 with the TC2 silencer. The bike still has a ton of low end and is easy to lug around in the tight stuff. The 220 is jetted so rich from the factory that it is safe to leave the carb alone after changing the pipe. For best performance though you will want to rejet for sure. make sure to remove or modify the airbox lid at the same time so you can get better airflow through that new pipe.

All around Kawai fan I guess, with the ski and the bike now :) Just seeing that you are running the rev and tc2, hows the top end grunt with that setup, are you impressed more so than without it? I just winterized the ski so I figured I'd get something else to play with while its down for the winter. Actually its funny 3 of us went to a bike shop about 2 hours away and planned on leaving with 3 bikes one way or another. I came home with the 220 and they came home with a wf250f, its was just a spur of the moment kinda thing.

DId you check this out:

http://pub122.ezboard.com/fultra150frm1.showMessage?topicID=3615.topic

working on a supercharger kit for your ski I believe!

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Hurry!........sell the skis! I've got a full mod Ultra also. Biggest money pit ever made. Thank God I wised up a few years ago and bought a KDX and quit the jetskis. Hey.........Mod Edit - This belongs in the For Sale forum hehe

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
I never rode my bike with the factory setup so I have nothing to compare with. From what I've been told it does help the top quite a bit. I ride a lot of steep technical stuff here in the NW and it still has plenty of low end too. It can run a gear too high and have plenty of torque in the nasty stuff without the wheelspin.

tall1

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 1, 2002
You may need to change your jetting even if you don't put an after market pipe on your KDX. I bought a used 99 KDX220 with extremely low hours on it. I have never seen a bike with the stock jetting so rich. I ride mostly in northern Michigan. With the bike totally stock, the silencer would fill up with spooge and the bike wouldn't idle. I have made the following modifications, large hole cut in top of air box, changed main jet one step leaner, moved needle clip up one notch, changed pilot jet one step leaner, and finally put a Pro Circuit platinum pipe on it. The bike now runs a whole lot better from bottom to top and now it idles real nice. I still have a small amount of spooge leaking from the seal at the silencer and the spark plug still looks very black. I think it still needs some leaner jetting. Jets cost about eight bucks at the Kawasaki dealer. I really like this bike now. The stock jetting was very bad. Maybe the original owner sold the bike because it ran so badly in stock form. Has any one else had a similar experience?

jfontenot

Jan 27, 2003
I recently bolted on a Pro Circuit Platinum and Factory Sound silencer on my ‘00 200 after much research. To say it changed the performance is an understatement. No degradation on the low end (slight improvement) but third gear and up, what a difference! It’s like a whole new ride.

slyder

Jul 29, 2003
i have a 220 with the fmf desert pipe and the power core 2 silencer. even in nc woods you dont need the woods pipe. loose the air box lid and a touch of rejetting that bike will fly. mine will do third gear roll on wheelies no problem.

Feint Drift

Oct 27, 2003
Originally posted by slyder
i have a 220 with the fmf desert pipe and the power core 2 silencer. even in nc woods you dont need the woods pipe. loose the air box lid and a touch of rejetting that bike will fly. mine will do third gear roll on wheelies no problem.

sounds awesome to me! but I am un sure of something, on the FRP site, it says you can add a FMF rev pipe, turbine 2 or core silencer and jetting is not needed. The FMF site says jetting would be good to do(and they give you the jet sizes), and on here everyone is saying I would need to jet. Just wonder why they are saying on the FRP that its not even required or needed, they made it seem like I just plain don't need it? Do you know what jetting you are running slyder.....I'm right north of greensboro NC are you around that area by chance?

slyder

Jul 29, 2003
im still trying to find out what jetting was done on my bike. im 2nd owner. im in the charlotte area but race all over the state. check out nchsa.org. our last race is 11/15/03 at rattlesnake ridge. we have a lot of kdx riders there who like to talk about and ride their bikes. come out play.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
The stock jetting is just way too rich. Kawi does this so they don't have to worry about problems at sea level or 5000 feet I would assume. When you open up the airbox and put a new pipe on the bike will breathe alot better. This will lean it out some, however, it will probably still be too rich so you will need to rejet for optimum performance. Since it runs on the rich side though it won't really hurt to not rejet but it wouldn't be very smart to skip that part after spending the bucks on a pipe.

Top Bottom