rosscopeeko

Feb 25, 2005
Hello again guys. I've been away from the forum for a quite a while because i just haven't been riding much for the past few years. I still have my 03 cr250 that is in pretty good shape. I rebuilt the top end about 8 hours ago and the bike has less than 60 hours total. So far i've added a vforce 3, jd jetting kit, fmf silencer, carbon skid plate, rad guards, and rekluse z start clutch. I ride this thing in the woods mostly, and the occasional trip to the oregon dunes. My bars are just renthal 7/8" i think carmichael bend bars. I find them a little low for when i'm standing. I want to upgrade bars. I was thinking of going with Pro taper 1 1/8" bars. What do i need to buy to do this? Can you recommend a bend? I'm only 5'8" tall. Thanks guys

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Can't help you with the bend. That is up to you. But pro taper makes an adapter kit you can use to switch to the 1 1/8" bars. But remember when you are looking at bars that the adapter kit raises the bottom of the bar about 10 mm (little less than 1/2") or so.
I tried a fat bar for a while and went back to 7/8" bar. I had no real opinion of the thicker bar. Didn't love it. Didn't hate it. Still have it and the adapter sitting around somewhere. I think the height and bend of the bar is far more important than whether it is 7/8" or 1 1/8" so you might want to keep an open mind when looking at new bars.

rosscopeeko

Feb 25, 2005
The reason i wanted to go with the fatter bars is because i tried a couple of friends bikes that had them and it just felt much better. Not sure how to describe it but along the lines of more comfortable and better riding position for me, as well as sturdiness. Anyone else do this to an older bike? Can anyone recommend a good shape bar who is around my height? Thanks guys

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
The current YZ/McGrath/Stewart/Reed bend is my favorite, It's a fairly straight bend (not too much sweep) and it's taller than your current bars.

The CR High bend is popular too, it's about the same height as above, but with more sweep.

Feb 25, 2001
I wouldn't really consider it an "older bike" Yes I've done it to my 01 CR back when it was new. That's all I ever have had is the twin wall and pro tapers.

As soon as the stocker would bend which would be within a ride or two I would throw in the fat bars.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I am your height and the stock KX450 bar works for me, of course, every rider is different. You might also get a little more height out of a twinwall so look at those as well.
Did you happen to check the bend number on the other bikes you tried? Renthal has the specs for their bars on their website.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
rosscopeeko said:
The reason i wanted to go with the fatter bars is because i tried a couple of friends bikes that had them and it just felt much better. Not sure how to describe it but along the lines of more comfortable and better riding position for me, as well as sturdiness. Anyone else do this to an older bike? Can anyone recommend a good shape bar who is around my height? Thanks guys

I would find out what those friends bars were and go with that, if those worked for you..

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom