Want to build a bike... I know probably not a good idea...

DougTx

~SPONSOR~
Oct 5, 2008
Ok..

Have my XR400R that I love that you guys helped me pick.
I am 38, 6'2" and 255lbs
There is absolutely nothing wrong with my XR400R and I love it.

I want to buy a bike to tinker with/work on and ride after fixing up.
I have seen a lot of 250 bikes (CR,YZ,KX,etc) that are priced pretty low.

I was thinking that I would pickup a 250CC two stroke and build it up and play with it over the winter. I am ok with spending some money on the project as part of the learning process. I am not a bottomless pit of cash but I am trying to be realistic and know it won't come instantly. I have a fair amount of mechanical ability (built my own race car from a Miata etc).

Questions/Assumptions...

2 Stroke is easier to rebuild than a 4 stroke yes?

250CC in any of the big 3/4 in the very late 80's to mid 90's would be a decent bike to ride and play with after the fact for me for my size etc?

Is there anything I should look to avoid in looking for a bike? (Like is there a bike I should avoid do to complexity or native poor quality or issues?

I have been mostly seeing project bikes that are running kinda/not running at all but are complete (I am hoping to avoid project in-a-box) for about $250 to $600 depending on the bike and it's status.

Anyway any advice or info would be really appreciated... if you have a bike or know of one near north Texas (I am in Dallas) let me know too.

Thanks guys....

Doug in Dallas
Hopeful bike tinkerer/re-builder in my dreams

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Honestly, rebuilding a 500 dollar bike can end up being alot more expensive than starting with a 1500-2000 dollar bike. Not to mention parts availability for an old bike. Most bikes in that price range will need enough work to keep you busy all winter.

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
_JOE_ said:
Honestly, rebuilding a 500 dollar bike can end up being alot more expensive than starting with a 1500-2000 dollar bike. Not to mention parts availability for an old bike. Most bikes in that price range will need enough work to keep you busy all winter.
thats why i put a couple of nice bikes in those links :)

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
_JOE_ said:
Yeah, that CR looked like a good deal.
Too bad I'm 5'5 :whoa: Otherwise I might have had to free up some space in the garage :nod:

Top Bottom