Want to get my 94' KX 125 running

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
My birthday is coming up, and I think I am ready to get my KX 125 running again. I know I need a couple parts, but I am wondering where the best place is to get them (hopefully cheap).
I need
Flywheel puller (hopefully a cheap one)
Connecting Rod and bearing
Piston
Maybe crankcase bearings??? Not sure if they have ever been changed.
Also seals? I don't know if those are a must to change.

I already got a new piston ring from the last owner, and a whole engine gasket set.

How do I find out what size piston I need? Or if this cylinder is any good?? It looks fine looking at it.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Seals are not that expensive and after you have done all the work to get down to them it would be just plain stupid to not change them.

If the bearings are original then I would change them as well. Again, not nearly as expensive to change them now when it is easy as later when you have to tear the engine apart again.

You are going to need a machine shop to have the connecting rod and bearing changed out on your crank, that isn't something you are going to be able to do yourself. Since you are doing business with a shop have them inspect your cylinder for you. They can measure it and make sure it is within limits. If the cylinder has been bored oversize they would be able to tell you what size piston you need. If the machine shop is associated with a parts shop they will sell you the correct piston. Buy if from them, it is good to have business relationship with a good shop.

If you buy a new piston it should come with a new ring.

You may also want to change the wrist pin bearing (top of the connecting rod).

Rod

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
Thanks Rod,

I know I can't tackle the crankjob, I have a friend of mine who works at Cahills that going to do it for me half the normal cost. He is already doing a big enough favor for me, I don't want to put more on him.

A friend of mine has a MIC, should measure the cylinder with that??

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
yes measure the bore with a bore gauge and make sure it is round. You will need that measurement also to make sure your piston measurements are within tolerances.

For parts, you can check with motosport.com for complete top and bottom end kits. Most likely you can get a new crank, bearings, seals, gaskets and piston kit for that bike. Much easier than paying to split, and true a new rod on a crank. Then you also have everything you need minus and power valve parts or reeds that need replaced.

Top Bottom