Wanted: Recommened Reading

RemeberMe

Jun 26, 2001
Okay, I'd really like to know what everyone is talking about when they throw out stuff like mid-valve, crossover stack, etc. etc. I'd also like to know about the different kinds of suspension (inverted forks and the likes) and how it works so that I can study up enough to feel confident in taking my own stuff apart.

So, what does everyone recommend as a good suspension book (or books for that matter) that I can study up on so that I know my stuff? :) I am willing to do whatever it takes to understand the suspension thing, so feel free to unload.

TIA,
Andrew

RemeberMe

Jun 26, 2001
Thanks Marcus.

So there aren't any real "how to's" that illustrate what is going on or what to do, you just have to read and interpret?

Thanks again,
Andrew

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Not that I am aware of Andrew, sorry. This place is likely the single best place to get information, but, bottom line is that you need to see some apart to get a real understanding...well, at least a fundamental understanding ;)

RemeberMe

Jun 26, 2001
Yea, I know I can ALWAYS count on everyone here to help, and to me that's one of the greatest things about this site! Thanks for the support.

I figured to only way was to tear some apart, but it'd be nice to have a guide.

What I want to know is how do you know what valving changes to make, and how do you make them?? I know I can throw new springs in a bike, but I also know how important PROPER valving is. It's just being able to learn the HOW-TO's of do-it-yourself valving that have me searching....

I guess I'll just sit back and watch/listen until I find the ballz to tear open my stuff :).

Thanks,
Andrew

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Valving seems at first really hard-then you do a few and get decent results and think you have cracked it-then you realise you have just scratched the surface of valving and think 'god how am i going to ever really know anything'
its not something you can learn in a few days or weeks or months-also you need to work on alot of suspension to get a better understanding of how different systems work.It helps if you have someone to hold you hand as otherwise you may as well be trying to build a space ship.You will get lots of help here.

RemeberMe

Jun 26, 2001
Marcus, will you hold my hand?? :)

For future reference, I did manage to find one good link:

http://www.motocross.com/motoprof/moto/mcycle/suspen.html

Thanks again everyone, once I get up the nerve to do this y'all know!

Later,
Andrew

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…