low_e

Mar 27, 2007
I recently bought a new leftover 2005 KDX220 and I wanted to thank you guys on this site for all the useful information. I never would have known about the piston issue but thanks to this place, I did. I just got done replacing the stock piston with a Wiseco and luckily it was not cracked and there was no cylinder damage. I only have about 70 miles on it so I wasn't too worried, but the idea that the piston was basically a time bomb waiting to blow was making me nuts. The job was pretty easy for the most part but that reverse threaded nut on the advancer shaft was a bear to get off. I can't believe someone actually got it that tight. Also thanks for the warnings about supporting the shaft so as to not break it down lower in the motor. I used a 6mm wrench to hold it and it worked great. After reassembly it fired up in 2 kicks after a few slow ones to let the piston and cylinder get lubed up a bit.

I can't wait until the weather starts getting nicer again so I can break it in and have a blast! Thanks again!

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
Congrats on the bike! but what's stopping you from riding? We rode today, the temp was 33 degrees, a little cold but the ground wasn't frozen and the bikes ran fast. A Lot of mud made it slick but fun and nobody else was out. I recommend the philosophy "Inch or less of snow=time to go" Anyway good luck with the bike.

low_e

Mar 27, 2007
If I wasn't at the beginning stage of a cold, I'd probably be out there riding too. I don't want to have to deal with being sick for the next week though, then I won't be able ride when it gets nice.

joebiodiesel

Dec 6, 2006
I don't mind the cold weather too much. I'm just waiting for the snow to melt. Here, East of Lake Ontario, we just got several more inches and there's snow in the forecast for nearly all next week. This winter weather just won't go away! I bought an '01 KDX200 over in December and I'm dying to ride it. I tried getting out last week with about 6 inches of slush inches on the ground. After nearly falling on my head every 10 feet I gave up and went home.
Lesson learned: Knobbies do not make good snow tires.

Joe

wilkinste

Sep 6, 2005
rode today north of Chicago

yeah it was pretty cold here - 24F or probably -5C with a stiff wind. But after riding an hour, came home sweating. The frozen ground made it a little easier to ride - less mucky. Did get the bike stuck trying to cross a small stream - think that I have to wheely it and when the front tire lands on the far bank, gun it up. Need a good trail riding technique DVD...

Top Bottom