warming up bike

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
Just curious how you guys know when your bike is warmed up, I never knew the right amount of time so I basically just keep giving it quick blips of throttle until the response is crisp. Is that the proper way, I'd like to tell my friend who NEVER warms his bike up, just how to do it. Thanks guys
Jeff

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Jeff I have heard of many ways. But one of the top mechanics I know said when you can feel the warmth of the cylinder through a MX glove it's ready to go.

That's usually how I do it. But I don't believe in the blipping thing, Just because I read an article saying that the proper way was just a steady idle, no high revs or blips.

This was in a Canadian Biker magazine from the tech section, if you are intersted ill try and scan the article :thumb:

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
I guess its all up to the person. The only time I really let my bike warm up is if I'm riding in the winter. I've heard that your not supposed to let MX bikes just sit there because they will load up, then I hear your supposed to let it warm up 5 mins. Who's got the right answer? lol. Who knows.. All I know is that I start my bike, and in less than 30 secs I'm on it riding. First lap I take slow, 2nd lap its WOT!!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I usually wait until the cylinder feels warm and then I start to put my gloves and goggles on. By then it's plenty warm. You can also feel the back of the radiator to see if it's warm.

You want it to warm up so the piston and cylinder have time to expand to their final size. The piston will heat up much faster (and expand sooner) than the cylinder so you have to give the cylinder time to catch up. You risk a cold seizure if the piston gets bigger than the cylinder bore.

Last edited:

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I just let it idle for 5 or so minutes and its usually ready to go when I get on it. If my bike is not warmed up, it runs like crap from mid range up. I always cringe when I hear people unload thier bikes, start it up, and rev the piss outta it.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Another tip. Until my bike is warmed up the idle is higher than normal. Once the idle drops down it is usually warmed up enough but I still feel the cylinder first.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…