WARNING, 03 KTM Triple clamp failures

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
"KTM Sportmotorcycle USA, Inc., has discovered a serious and dangerous condition in some KTM full size competition motorcycles. The affected models are 2002 250 EXC Racing, 2003 200 EXC/MXC, 2003 250 EXC, 2003 250 EXC Racing, 2003 300 EXC/MXC, 2003 450 EXC/MXC Racing, 2003 525 EXC/MXC Racing and 2003 525SX Racing. Some of the lower triple clamps (part number 590 01 031 120) are improperly manufactured and will break in service. The triple clamp is the part that connects the fork head and handlebars to the fork tubes.

We are working closely with KTM in Austria to quickly find a solution to this problem. The safety of our customers, and the reputation of our product must be our first consideration. This is a very serious situation and we will do everything in our power to resolve it as soon as possible."

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Where did this info come from?

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
Okie,

This is a posting that one of the KTM dealerships got from KTM USA that sponsors KTM Talk.

Here is an update:

Yes there is a problem with some of the triple clamps on the 03 models. KTM is not certain why they are cracking but they are leaning toward the way they were assembled at the supplier, but this is not for sure. Luckily there are not many new ones in the hands of customers. I can assure you they remedy will be quick and hopefully painless. Please so not panic and not all bikes are affected

Last edited:

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
According to Mike Kruger at CycleZoneKTM.com this is accurate information. The e-mail to him from KTM stated he is not to sell or permit anyone to even ride one of these bikes until the situation is resolved. I just got off the phone with him.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Shame they never did this on the PDS shocks-mine dumped its oil and then came to bits-they knew of the problem but didnt notify owners:(

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
NOTICE: A failure in this part well cause a serious accident with subsequent serious injury or even death.

DO NOT PERMIT ANYONE TO RIDE ANY OF THESE MOTORCYCLES.

DO NOT SELL OR DELIVER THESE MOTORCYCLES TO CUSTOMERS.

PLEASE CONTACT ANY CUSTOMERS, OR OTHER PERSON WHO HAS TAKEN DELIVERY OF ONE OF THESE MOTORCYCLES TO INFORM THEM OF THIS SITUATION IMMEDIATELY.

If you have received any of the affected full size competition motorcycles listed above in crates and they have not been completely assembled, do not assemble them until further notice. We are working closely with KTM in Austria to quickly find a solution to this problem. When a solution is found there will be full reimbursement to the dealers for carrying out the fix.

We recognize that this has a serious impact on you as a dealer and we apologize. However, the safety of our customers, and the reputation of our product must be our first consideration. This is a very serious situation and we will do everything in our power to resolve it as soon as possible.

KTM Sportmotorcycle USA, Inc.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
At least they are jumping right on the problem. Good job KTM.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
That's called a "stop sale". It's happened several times in the car business that I know of.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
It is my understanding that towards the end of 02 and all 03 that this is the first time that KTM did not manufacture their own triple clamps and had an outside firm manufacture them.

I also heard rumors that Applied Racing might be willing to provide replacements for 2003 models.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by MikeT
At least they are jumping right on the problem. Good job KTM.
I agree.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by KDX220rm
It is my understanding that towards the end of 02 and all 03 that this is the first time that KTM did not manufacture their own triple clamps and had an outside firm manufacture them.

I also heard rumors that Applied Racing might be willing to provide replacements for 2003 models.

That would be cool because then I'd get a refund for the ones I bought yesterday! :confused: I ordered my bike with Applied Racing 18 MM offset clamps to get quicker steering. Free ones would be awesome!

Top Bottom