WARNING!, 220 Owners must read!!!

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
In the last month I've done 3 topend jobs on 220's using wiseco pistons, all 3 have had too long of a wrist pin causing the circlip to not seat all the way. these are all pistons from the new batch released at the end of march. if your using one of these pistons make sure that both circlips make a "SNAP" when installing them, also take a good look at them and tap the wrist pin to make sure that the clip is seated. if the wrist pin circlip pops out while the engine is running it will cause severe engine damage!!

ways to remedy this is use the old wrist pin or cut down one side of the wrist pin to shorten. Happy KDX'ing, Sage. ;)

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Yikes! How long are the too-long pins? Can you measure them with a dial caliper beforehand to check? I'm surprised that Wiseco is not supplying replacements.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Not sure if it was on the KDX page or somewhere else, but I read that some aftermarket circlips are thicker wire than the OEM parts, making proper installation more difficult if not impossible. Sage, could it be the wrong circlips instead of the wrist pin?

Sage

Mar 28, 2001
it's all the parts supplied with the piston, if you put one clip in then slide the pin in you can see that it's a hair long and covering up the edge of the clip groove not letting it seat all the way, it's more common than you think and I see it a lot with snowmobile pistons. I have one more wiseco piston in stock right now so I'll pull it out of the box and check that one. will measure it and repost. haven't called wiseco, most of the time manufactures don't care about stuff like this when told, you get "yes we'll take a note of that" or "the mechanic should have noticed that on installation".

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I will be waiting for the wrist pin measurment

I have a piston kit ready to go in, the newer one so I will wait for your measurment of the one that is too long to compare to mine. I can just use the stock one if I need to can't I? Or do I have to have it ground down a few MM?

Thanks Sage for this information.

Sage

Mar 28, 2001
argh!

Wouldn't ya know it, the last piston I have I pulled it out of the box to measure it and it fit better than the glove on O.J.! Anyways I did try the chamfer thing first and it didn't work, I just ground it down a bit till it fit, then put the chamfer back into it. Don't loose any sleep over this, just make sure yours is right before you put it in and forget about it.

Sage

Mar 28, 2001
victim #1 ???

see thread - "Hmmm...A real stumper, for me anyways =) " it was a 200 though?

Last edited:
Top Bottom