Washer on Oil Drain plug? (KTM 125SX)

johnpace2

~SPONSOR~
Dec 5, 2000
I changed my tranny oil before riding last week and happened to misplace the copper colored washer that goes with the clutch side drain plug. It didn't appear to leak but now I notice some oil on the frame.

How essential is the part? I plan on finding another one asap, but in the meantime, I will clean the area, and change the oil again so I can try to track the leak.

Just out of curiosity, what is the purpose of the washer?

Thanks!

John

johnpace2

~SPONSOR~
Dec 5, 2000
DOH!

OK, I'll need one right away then. Should I get the KTM version or try to get one from a hardware shop?

Thanks,
John

B

biglou

John-I noticed that my case drain on my kTm was leaking ever so slightly, so I tightened the plug a bit, but realized that it was pretty tight to begin with. There was that "Crack!" noise from the flange on the bolt head moving against the case. Potentially a catastrophic situation here, with the aluminum threads and all. I got lucky. Next oil change, I noticed something fall into the funnel as I was emptying the drain pan into the waste oil jug. It was the copper washer that had fallen off the drain bolt and into the drain pan from two oil changes ago! Sometimes ya just get lucky!

The only issue I can see is to make sure you get a copper washer and not one of those "Crush" washers, as they will stay flat after a use or two.

johnpace2

~SPONSOR~
Dec 5, 2000
Ok, I have to admit it... I was being dumb! Draining my oil at night. I knew I should have kept better track of that stupid thing. I was just careless and in a rush.... I dropped it, and the damn thing disappeared. = )

I'll call holeshot or something and see how much the washer is. If they have it, I'll just order it since I'm going on vacation tomorrow anyway. Otherwise, I'll hit the hardware store with the drain plug to find a copper washer that fits.

Thanks!

John

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
Take the bolt with you and go to a good autoparts store like O'Reilly or Auto Zone and they will have them in stock. All cars/trucks use them on their oil drain plugs.

Top Bottom