Washing my dirtbike??

06KX100

Feb 9, 2008
when i wash my kx100, i usually use a waterhose with a tip on it or something, but after i wash it, it wont start...and yes i keep the exhaust plugged, but the other day i took off my seat and side panels and noticed that the top and right side of the airbox are open, so i am thinking that when washing of the inside of panels water went through, passing through the air filter...and so on.......i have a twin air filter if it matters, any suggestions??

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
you answered your question. You are getting water on the filter (which water and oil don't mix) and that is either getting into your carb and keeping any ignition from happening, or it's just cutting off air flow because your filter is soaked. For future washings buy one of those intake covers and change that out with your filter before washing. Also, your exhaust plug is not to keep water from getting into your engine because, unless you just stick a hose down your silencer pipe, it would never fill up enough to actually get to your exhaust port on the side of your cylinder. The plug is there to keep water from getting on your muffler packing. When you get packing wet it is basically ruined, so hence the reason for the plug.

06KX100

Feb 9, 2008
i figured thats what was going wrong, so im in need of a new filter anyways so i think im gonna buy a new twinair, packing, and that intake cover thing, just to start over and be safe..!!

also i think i am going to go with the no-toil maintenance kit with filter oil, filter cleaner, and rim grease for $19, it seems to be simplest way to go :)

and lastly would it be okay to use no-toil with a twin air filter?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Yes you can use No Toil on a Twin Air. If the filter got wet you don't have to buy a new one. Just dry it out. Also I just slip a plastic grocery bag over the filter to keep the water off during washing. It will keep the over spray off just fine as long as you don't spray water right on it

06KX100

Feb 9, 2008
well im not even taking any parts that reveal the air filter off, so would just putting a plastic bag over be ok?

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
My air filter is always damp after I wash the bike. I just swap it for a clean one before I try to start it again. I change my filter before every ride anyway, so it isn't really a big deal...

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
What he means, get an extra one to have on hand that is clean and ready to install...

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
06KX100 said:
^^ i dont have $30 to replace an airfilter every day

You can wash air filters and use them again... I generally just have 2 in rotation. Clean one goes in the bike, dirty one goes in the wash... I replace them with brand new ones at the very first sign of wear (usually quite a few uses each)... Running with a dirty air filter is one of the best ways to ensure a short life span of your engine...

06KX100

Feb 9, 2008
hah....i thought u literally replaced ur airfilter with a brand-new one every time you rode...lol...but now i understand what u wer saying

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
I've been really happy with the NO TOIL set up. Super easy to clean and seems to do a great job of letting the good in and keeping the bad out...

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…