Wasps! (In the chimney-I think)

B

biglou

Update for the chat pack and my wasp dilema...

I've been in my house for about 5 yrs now. In the warmer times of the year, and especially the Spring, more and more I'll find a wasp or three buzzing around inside the house after work. Now, it's great for breaking up the monotony, but I'm not real fond of bugs-especially the buzzing, stinging kind. I got to figuring that since I have never started a fire in the fireplace, they might be roosting in the chimney and finding they're way in to cooler or warmer climate to suit them. I did some searching on the net, and there are a few hits for "wasps in chimney". So, being the rugged outdoorsy-type that I am, I picked me up one of them bundles of pre-split firewood at Quik Trip yesterday morning, and today I commenced to startin' myself a couple fires. The fireplace upstairs has a screen and folding glass doors, and one of them gas burners with the valve in the floor. The one in the basement has nothing. Just an open hole with some insulation stuffed around the flue. So, flashlight in hand, I set forth to open the flues. I opted not to donn my helmet and goggles, but did suit up completely in every other way. Heck, I had no idea what was waiting to come screaming angrily down that chute hell-bent on welting me up! It's about 40 deg and raining, so I figured I was fairly safe. Just as I thought, nothing from upstairs, and a few logs, some cardboard and a judicious amount of natural gas later, I got myself a roaring fire. Downstairs was just as uneventful when pulling the insulation out and opening the flue. I even stuck my head in the fireplace to see if I could look up the chimney. I saw nothing. Now, getting a fire started downstairs was a bit more of a challenge. The cardboard and hardwood alone would not light off. A quick scan of the shelves in the garage yielded a no-longer-used half can of PJ1 air filter oil cleaner. "Danger! Extremely Flammable!!!" Perfect! ;)

That's it. Pretty anticlimactic. No buzzing hordes of angry hornets. No epileptic breakdancing seizures trying to defend myself from said angry hordes. Nothing but the smell of burning filter cleaner and a toasty warm house. I actually had to crack the kitchen window to get some airflow for the fumes. Started gettin' a little dizzy. Dizzier than normal, anyway... :eek:

We'll see how things go in a couple weeks once the weather starts to warm up. The odd 60+ degree day we have had here lately has found me with a couple half comatose wasps squirming around on the carpet downstairs, but posing no threat and easily disposed of. I'm not going to miss chasing these little bastages around the house, wondering why the nozzle on the bug spray seems clogged, only to learn that I've grabbed the furniture polish by mistake. Doesn't do squat to the wasps, but it sure makes the carpet slippery!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Good read, Lou!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Lou glad you didn't do it like I did
Last summer we kept getting Hornets in the basement. It wasn't unusual to have 25 buzzing around at a time. I went down and noticed that they seemed to be coming from a small overhanging window frame so I grabbed a ladder and started pulling back insulation :think: . Grabbed a handfull and as I started pulling realized it was now buzzing very loud. :yikes: I always keep a couple cans of hornet spray handy so I grabbed them and commenced soaking the insulation still in place down. About this time Trudy came downstairs with my epi-pen since I am also highly allergic to bee stings. As soon as the buzzing died down I pulled the insulation back only to be greeted by thousands of very angry hornets. :yikes: I was spraying the remaining can everywhere as we both back peddled as fast as possible and ran up the stairs :eek: . Luckily only 2 managed to hit me with their stingers and a quick injection handled that dilema. A professional exterminator :worship: handled the nest which was about 18"x24"x10" and estimated to house about 3000 of the buggers.
Seems they gained entry through a space of about 1/2"x 10" where the boards had dried and separated after construction.

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
let me take a stab at it here..( ross perot voice..on) "Now Lou, are they wasps or hornets? Do they have shiney bodies with little yellow and black stripes, because if they do they are your german hornets and you don't want any part of that". Yeh, if you go up in your attic ya better suit up , ya don't wanna be a "sting casualtie". regardless, some of those wasp, hornet, bee' type attack at a source of CO2, thus the stings on the face from the killer bees and such. Now i'm just spit balling here, thinking out loud. If you find the source, a nest per se, and set up a little CO2 dispenser, could you get the hive to attack a predetermined area? Yeh, like drawing them into an ambush. Then you can use some sort of prepared flame device on them. Hmmm.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Up at our spot on the river, they like too go in the exhaust vent too the refridgerator.. Oh, and inside of unattended soda cans :laugh:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
sfc crash said:
. . . Then you can use some sort of prepared flame device on them. Hmmm.
Blaze-or speaks! If anyone knows how to get rid of the yellerjackets, it's BLAZE-OR!!!

B

biglou

Hmmm, 12" of blown insulation, angry wasps, open flame, spastic bug-o-phobe... Nope, I don't see anything wrong with that scenario! :p

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
:rotfl:

Top Bottom