Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Smit-Dog said:
So who's selling the cheaper (meaning "lower quality") dot-matrix style stickers?

Last year I got mine at Anderson's in Pontiac. They print them right there on the spot.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Concerning the dot matrix stickers - DONT GET THEM NEAR STRONG DETERGENT OR CARB CLEANER!!! I have three right now that are almost not visibly ORV stickers cause I use Greased Lighting for cleaning my scoots!! ALso, not a bad idea to keep a receipt for your purchase because these yo-yo's you guys call "friendly" DNR folks WILL NOT make a radio call and check your purchase to varify it (they would rather write you a ticket and see if you will challenge it in court).
I dont agree with you guys about all this "good" DNR stuff.. I may be alone on this (its ok, stood alone many times) but experience has taught me to go the other way when those guys are around.. Sorry but that is what experience has taught me.. As far as the idea that everyone/anyone who gets a ticket did something wrong - I wouldnt yelp that to loud, the next wrongfully accused may be you! :yikes:
Now, if the DNR wanted to REALLY make us old timers happy they could go replant some of the THOUSANDS of acres of OUR land that they stripped of all the trees and never replanted. This being done with heavy equipment leaving such a mess that a Whitetail deer couldnt even cross it any longer.. Oh yea, please note that that same DNR kicked us off that same acreage 6 months earlier because they were afraid our minibike would create erosion - those tractor tracks that are still there 20 years later could swallow my KX!!!
At any rate, I may be wrong but I think as the noose gets tighter around the Michigan outdoorsmens neck to continue using the land that is rightfully ours we will find out just whose side that department is really on.. I truely hope that I am wrong but ol Woodsy has seen alot and he hasnt seen a glimmer of hope of the DNR believing anything other then we are trespassers on THIER land!
My 2 cents
Me

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Amen to that Woodsy! I've seen a real degradation in the DNR and their efforts at preservation of our lands and waters. The tree stripping you're seeing, I've seen more and more of this on the trails we ride. What about the acres we don't ride on? Of course the big drive is moola!! More dollars in the government's pocket to waste on some study that doesn't go anywhere, or goes to make sure the big guns in govt get raises while Mr./Ms. Average State Worker gets laid off.

I'm with you on this, I don't like the trend.

Oh yeah, those dot matrix stickers? Try putting a piece of clear packaging tape over them before riding or cleaning your bike. They'll hold up all season that way.

Godzuki

Sep 22, 2004
well last year i got my 100 buck ticket for riding on a dirt road unplated. yep its my fault, because i knew what i was doing, i just didnt want to do it. those i was riding with couldnt make the entire loop, so they voted to take the dirt roads back to the parking lot. well i not ever having been on this trail, realy didnt want to ride the rest of the way by myself alone on a trail i had never road before, so i reluctanly followed them. we got ehhh 100 yards away from the trail(i could still see it), and the usfs stopped us. so i got back on the trail and proceeded back to the parking lot in first gear and second, just plodding along realy slow so i didnt wreck and get hurt or break down. ofcourse nobody got on the trail with me either (im still not that happy about that). anyway i did it i got caught and i paid the price. since then i have road a few trails that have small road sections hopeing to god no smokies were waiting for me on that little strech of road. im hopeing this year to make the yz street legal but ill need a job for that to become a reality right now hehe.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
"im hopeing this year to make the yz street legal "

Way to go zuki!! I am in the process of legalizing my DR100 now. That will give me 4 dirtbikes in the fold with lights, plates and insurance on them. I had a local sherrif stop me a while ago while on Kadie.. He said - "sure enough, your legal - dont see many of these". To which I said "if I have my way you would see alot more!!".. Street legal bike, Street Legal Rider and an ORV sticker with reciepts to prove when and where it happened and you WILL win in court (unless you ride like an idiot :rotfl: - DOWN BOY DOWN :nod: ). An added benny is riding a motocross bike at night - its AWESOME!! Someday I am going to be able to afford one of those 200 watt output stators for Kadie.. :p I can see it now - AARP card in my pocket and still be able to actually see :nod:

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Woodsy I am with you in that I believe that if it was up to the DNR they would lock all people out of the woods forever.

But I have also yet to have a bad run in with the DNR either. I mostly ride marked trail. My bike has an ORV, Spark arrestor, and is even platted. Every time I have had one give my bike a look over he just checks for the basics smiles and goes on his way.

Now I dont do much dual sporting. But again in my experiance when they see a plate and orv they usually just move along.

Now maybe its that most of my run-ins with them was when I was doing trail mainenance or some other form of volenteer work and that won some favor with them. Who knows.

I know what you guys mean about those junky Meijer printed ORV stickers. I whiped my kids clean with simple green last year. I didn't bother replacing it though. I bought it once I aint doing it again just cause there stickers suck. If I got harrased about I would raise a stink about there crappy stickers being at fault not mine.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
do not get any bleche white on the printed stickers! :bang:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Don - my "issues" with the department are from years of outdoor activity, not just riding. I have dirtbiked - snowmobiled - hunted - fished - quaded - jeeped - hiked and camped our wilderness areas since childhood. While some encounters have been "motor motivated" (another Woodsy slang I just made up..) alot of them just happened from being at the wrong place at the wrong time... Wanna hear a quick one??
A "few" years back my dad and I deer hunted Lincoln Hills. Dad had hunted that area since '46 and I started following him in the early 60's. For this trip my "little" brother and his friend with his freinds 14 year old son came up. My bro (Doug) had never hunted before. He spent the big bucks getting all the gear with hopes to kill a big buck!!
On the second day of deer season Doug accidently killed a deer with no horns - IT HAPPENS A LOT!!!! He fired at a buck within a group of deer hit a bald one (some one always picks on the bald ones!!). Doug asked me what he should do and I said that I would do the honorable thing if I was him and I would take it in to the Ranger station in Baldwin..
2 years before this happended with Doug, I helped haul an accidental kill in and was told by the lady at the Ranger Station that it happens and all they ask is that who ever does it bring it in and "donate" the meat to help those in need... I couldnt believe the mound of venison they had stacked up! So that is what we did..
This time though the Ranger station was closed so we took it to the cop shop across the road.. The cops said they would have to call a CO. After 3 hours of waiting the CO shows up and writes my bro up for illegaly taking a deer. The 14 year stood there and listened to the CO explain to my brother how doing right after doing wrong does not release a person from the fines of the wrong.. That "accident" cost Doug $1250.00 - he sold all his gear and has NEVER hunted again.. The 14 year old is now a grown man with a family and he has NEVER ventured back into the sport either.. Shortly after this whole incedent is when our "friendly" and "helpful" DNR came thru and had those gorgeous hills stripped and the mess left that you see in there now...
I just did a quick addition of the times that "they" have shown me what "they" truely represent and I ran out of fingers and toes so I thought I would start over by counting the postives...
Hmmmmm, letme think about it and I will get back to you!!! :laugh:
Glad you have had better luck bro!!!
Woodsy

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
From across the lake.
I've been getting ORV stickers from Meijers in Benton Harbor for years and don't have any trouble with them.
From my days as a steel hauler throughout Illinois. You aren't illegal until the red light goes on. When you get a ticket and believe you're right - fight it - the law is 90% bluff. When you go to court, flash a lot of evidence. If you don't know the rules, don't play the game. To those that say you can't fight city hall - that is exactly who you fight. In 28 years I only lost one wrongfull ticket case.

Well behaved, unless following Woodsy.

Young Ted

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
"Well behaved, unless following Woodsy.

Young Ted"

Now I know who NOT to invite to the party next time I gotta fight a ticket :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Ok - ok, I take it back Ted.. As long as you promise not to demonstrate your full Nelson move to the judge you can come and watch :p

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Hey got another one for you. I must be blessed or something.

Camping on Drummond Island this weekend. We were on state land. And no we didn't have our camping permit. Well this year the Dnr came over and checked out our camp. Joe explained what we were doing and the DNR smiled and dug out some camping permits for us to fill out and stick on the trees. No hassles at all. Heck he didn't even bother to give the bikes a look over to see if we were all legal.

But I think what may have saved out bacon was the dozen or so Quad riders that blew down the road as he watched, it is legal to ride down this road, but I think the fact that most were without helmets and a few were riding double may have cought his attention. He finished up with us with a smile, went 100 yards down the road to the staging area probably wrote up a dozen tickets or so.

I even passed him (literly) on the trail latter that day with about 12 bikers in tow. No problems at all.

I must be blessed.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Nice to have a pleasant experience with the DNR, eh Don?
We had a CO stop at camp and pick up our camping permits (the bottom half). I wasn't there at the time, but the guy was professional about things. First time in a long time I had the camping permit taken, now I have to fill out another one.. Maybe the next form will last me for several years like the last one?
Also saw one CO on a county road intersection while we were out recording a route. He just smiled and waved. I was surprised, somewhat, since it was a holiday/hooligan weekend and he couldn't see our plates from his position. But what the hey..

FLEM

Sep 22, 2004
we rode Ambose lake , Rose city and the connectors all the way down to Ogemaw hills on monday, the locals say they don't see any DNR at all since they, allow ORV;s on the b roads, guess they can't hide in the woods and get the ticket bonaza's anymore.so they are probably over enforcing in the other counties.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Just noticed something on an ORV Route triangle that I'd either forgotten or not noticed before. This one says right on the triangle "DNR licensed required unless licensed by Secretary of State".
Which would make the CO in a previous example look REALLY foolish to write you up for not having an ORV sticker, but having a SOS plate, especially if you had one in your hand.
For putting a few of you through my ramblings on what a CO _could_ cite you for I'd like to offer you one of these triangles (fresh too, no nail holes). Would be handy to have if you were ever to be stopped for such a silly thing in the future. Email my your postal address & I'll send one to you. jvalley@mac.com

I still say a CO could cite somebody for no ORV even with a plate and it probably wouldn't fly in court but would have shut up much sooner had somebody reminded me of the verbiage on these triangles... Tee Hee

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Hmmm I have a few of those triangles in my trailer. I may have to go take a look at them myself.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
I grabbed a handful when we were picking up other supplies @ Roscommon the other week and didn't really look at them, other than to note they were the newer "words only" Route markers. The older cycle image "route" markers don't have this on them, that I could find. It was not 'till this past Sunday when I took a break on the North Branch Route while I was looking for a protruding nail on the stop sign post to hang my backpack (dang it was hot/dusty) that I noticed the language. Double checked with my stock here to see if the newer ones were all like that.

Top Bottom