Delgaty

Mar 30, 2009
I changed the oil on my bike today about an hour after washing it and letting it dry. I started the bike up afterward, ran it for 30 seconds then shut it off. I look at my soil sight window and all I saw was white. I was going to just do another oil change but my friend said it might not help because there might be water on my oil filter. Now forgive me, I'm new to bikes but I'm pretty sure my bike doesn't have an internal oil filter. What I can't figure out is how the water got in, the bike was completely dry when I did the oil change. Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm not in a huge rush though, my buddy punctured his rad on his 450 so he'll probably be not able to go this weekend either. My bike is an 02 KX 250 BTW.

Thanks,
Ryan

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
No oil filter if it is a KX250 2 stroke, if it's a KXF250 then yes.

You might want to invest in a factory shop manual for your bike because it sounds like you need to replace a couple of water pump seals at best.

Delgaty

Mar 30, 2009
Patman said:
No oil filter if it is a KX250 2 stroke, if it's a KXF250 then yes.

You might want to invest in a factory shop manual for your bike because it sounds like you need to replace a couple of water pump seals at best.

Yeah I didn't think my bike had a filter. I really hope the bike doesn't need seals, you'd think I would have noticed it before, the oil that came out was perfect, oil that went it was perfect and before I started it it was clean in the sight window. I'm going to try changing the oil a second time, this time by opening the cover and tipping the bike to get it all out, then fill it back up. If it needs that kind of work it's going into the shop. I'm alot more mechanically inclined than many people but I don't do engine internals.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
You wouldn't think the seals could go just like that but anything is possible. Check your transmission vent hose and make sure it is hooked up with no cracks or damage to hose. If its not there or damaged you may have got water inside the tranney when washing. Just something to check.

Delgaty

Mar 30, 2009
mideastrider said:
You wouldn't think the seals could go just like that but anything is possible. Check your transmission vent hose and make sure it is hooked up with no cracks or damage to hose. If its not there or damaged you may have got water inside the tranney when washing. Just something to check.

Thanks. I was looking online at a parts fiche and couldn't find the vent hose, where would it be?

Thanks,
Ryan

Delgaty

Mar 30, 2009
mideastrider said:
Look on the case on back side of the where the kick starter is and you should see it.

Thanks, I really appreciate you guys putting up with my questions. To you guys this is elementary, to me its greek! That being said if any of you guys need tech help with snowmobiles gimme a shout haha.

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
I've had water pump seals let go twice, years ago, and in one case, it was a slow leak that made the crank case fill slowly and turn to sludge. In another case, it was a catastrophic failue at 105 MPH, and my RD350LC churned the hot antifreeze into the crankcase oil, created a strawberry milkshake out of it, then sprayed it out the vent tube, all over my rear tire, and made a pink cloud of oily, slippery mess that enveloped my riding buddies. I nearly crashed and my friends were slimed.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
is the oil looking white when you drain it? Make sure it isn't just frothing up in the window.

I had a nearly new bike have the whitish color to the oil, not bad but not normal. A trusted mechanic told me to add a teaspoon (or as it a tablespoon?) of the liquid, not the pellets, from a bottle of Bars Leaks. If I didn't have total respect and trust for this guy I would have never even tried it. He said some times the water pump seals dry out and the Bars allows the seals to do their job again. It worked, this was years ago no problems since.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom