chooch

Mar 6, 2001
Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of replacing the water pump seal and oil seal in my 93 cr250, but I can't seem to remove the impeller. When I try to loosen it with the right crankcase cover still attached, the whole impeller and shaft turns. And it won't budge when I remove the cover and try to hold on to the plastic sprocket (I can't get the proper grip on the sprocket).

So my questions are:
1) Is the impeller reverse threaded or regular threaded?
2) Does the fact that the impeller can turn while still attached to the engine mean that something else is wrong?

I'd hate to break the plastic sprocket or otherwise damage anything by not knowing what to do! Thanks,

Jon

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
i belive its regular thread and i usualy just loosen it before removing the outer case if it spins it might be broken inside (unless the motor is turning over)i would remove the cover and check befor proceding.

chooch

Mar 6, 2001
yes, it is turning the motor when I try to loosen it (the spocket is not broken). Is there a way to stop it from turning the motor, or does this indicate a different problem?

Jon

chooch

Mar 6, 2001
Well, with I said to hell with it and with a little muscle and a propane torch I finally got it off. But that still leaves me with my other question, does the fact that turning the water pump will turn over the motor indicate a problem, or is that how its supposed to work?

endosports

Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by chooch
Well, with I said to hell with it and with a little muscle and a propane torch I finally got it off. But that still leaves me with my other question, does the fact that turning the water pump will turn over the motor indicate a problem, or is that how its supposed to work?

How about using the impact to get it off.

Top Bottom