robbp

Apr 2, 2000
Have a '99 WR125 Husky. Like the bike but had a major problem at last enduro a month ago. Somehow it got water in the case. The shop nor I know how it go in. No apparent seal failure. The ride did cross a creek but only hub high and rained like heck. I have not removed the cover under the seat. Major $$$$$$ on a complete rebuild, but while they have it apart got 150 kit, porting, cases matched and ported, Delta V-force reed cage and pipe. Obviously, I don't want a repeat. Anyone else have this problem and know a solution. Thank in advance!

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
When you say in the case, do you mean the bottom end or in the trans?
I have a 99 Husky CR125 and if you figure out how it happened I would certainly like to know so I can watch for the problem. Also how much water was it?
I did have an old 89 KTM that cavitated a hole into the trans at the water pump, but I'm sure the shop would have caught that right away.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Looks to me like you have 2 ways to get water into the transmission. Water pump seal failure leading to a loss of coolant. Or sucking water into the cases through a breather. It is totally possible to suck water up into the engine during a stream crossing. It has happened to me on just about every bike I have owned. I generally drain the oil and install fresh oil right away. I have noticed no problems caused by the water.

Chris

robbp

Apr 2, 2000
I guess it's possible wter was sucked in thru breather. How would you know, process of elimination? Lost no coolant at all so ruled out water pump. Couldn't just change oil, bike would barely run. Upon pulling cylinder, connecting rod blue where connects to crank, sludge on top of cases and chocolate milk for oil. Don't know how much water got in. I've heard of people running all there breather tubes to their air box to prevent water being sucked up. Have you or anybody tried this? And whaat were the results, any downside?
Thanks!

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Sure sounds to me like you sucked in water, in from the airbox. looks like you sucked in water into the trans too. Check your drains for the airbox, as it could be part of the problem if water gets trapped in there. Generally if an engine is flooded it is a good idea to drain it and refill, then start and warm it up.

Chris

robj

Oct 31, 2000
Hi Rob, when you get the bike back and running could you post your findings on the 150 big bore conversion. Thanks, Robj

Top Bottom