water in cranckcase need help asap...

stu182

~SPONSOR~
Dec 11, 1999
I got a small hole in my radiator out trail riding. Didn't ride very long afterwards. After a few weeks I got another radiator. But when i changed my oil About 5-6 cups of coolant came out. Is the headgasket bad or Could it be the impeller seal.?I changed all fluids and ran the bike for 5 mins and it seems to use a little coolant and turned the oil really milky but there wasn't any visible water in it like the first time i drained it. The bike ran fine . Is there a way to check if its the head gasket? Wouldn't it be leaking water in the cylinder if it was a head gasket? What should i look for to let me know what to fix?
This is on a 96 kx 250.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
My guess is the water pump seal is leaking into the tranny oil. It's a pretty easy fix. A head gasket leak wouldn't leak that quantity of water into the tranny and still run right. Also, if the impeller seal is leaking, there probably wouldn't be any visible signs of leakage externally.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
its worth changing the waterpump shaft at the same time as the seal- they often wear, and a $30 wp shaft might end up being cheaper than a complete engine meltdown.

Top Bottom