kdxinjapan

Jul 9, 2001
'll try to be brief. Im living in Japan and are new to motorbikes and their maintanence so I need some help.My 1991 Kawasaki KDX 250 developed white oil in the transmission. The overpriced Kawasaki dealer inspected the water pump, changed the oil and said it couldn't be helped and that it would happen again, which it did. I now have tranny oil leaking from several of the gaskets, inside and outside engine cover gaskets, clutch cable seal, water pump gasket, etc. At the moment I am waiting on the arrival of the manuals which will hopefully give me the instructions and courage to replace them.

Should I be looking to replace something within the water pump itself while I' m doing this?

Is it possible that the water in the transmission has something to do with the gaskets failing? or is this just standard wear of a 10 year old bike?

Have the gaskets failed because they were probably not replaced when Mr. Kawasaki inspected the water pump?

Is having a small amount of water in the transmission a major problem?

Im not exactly racing this bike, its actually my domestic form of transport and part time hobby on the weekend.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this matter? Your help would be greatly apprectated.

Paul .

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
YES, having water in the oil will cause problems (rusting). All the gaskets are leaking because Mr. Kawasaki probably took your bike apart and didn't replace any of them. Third point is, NO it shouldn't happen again and again.

Now to the problem. The reason why it is happening is because your water pump seal(s) are shot. Just replace them and all the other gaskets it takes to get to it, change the oil and you'll be fine.

I thought they would have been able to fix something as simple as that.
Get back to us.

Mike

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Just like mike said, your water pump seals are bad,also when you put a new water pump seal in, their should be 2 of them inner and a outer,check the water pump shaft with your finger nail.If you can catch a nail on the shaft i would replace the shaft too or it will damage your new seal.

Last edited:

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
& the bearing behind it if it has any real slop, heck mine cost ~$4 just do it.

Water in the tranny is more of a problem in terms of the protection the oil affords between gears. Water falls a bit flat when asked to do this. Mind you corrosion will cause pits in the gear hardening so it’s all bad.

Top Bottom