SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
Is it possible to replace the water pump seal without pulling the right side cover? I drained the oil and found that it was all white and I suspect that the seal has gone. I would rather not pull the whole right side if possible and just replace the seal from the outside.
Thanks

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
Well, pulled the side cover like you said and there is something wrong, shaft is grooved enough that I had to drive it out with a hammer. So it looks like new seals and a new shaft and now I know where the water was getting into the engine. My good deal is slowly turning into market value through parts and labor. ;)

paab

Aug 31, 2006
That's what I suspected. I got my KDX free and it's now cost me market value to restore it. It's an older bike though ('90)

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
Yeah, I talked the guy down 300.00 and am about 400 back into it. Though admitidly I didn't need to spend 100.00 on powdercoating the frame, but man the frame looks nice now. The trade off is the plastic really looks like crap now. :)

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
Local shop. I spent about 8-10 hours sandblasting it using a 20.00 gun from **** and about 500 lbs of sand. The powder cost me 25.00 from eastwood, it took a pound, and the shop put it on and baked it for 40.00. I put on a semigloss black as I couldn't find the right green. The local shop had a better color selection. When I do my street bike I am going to get a color and flake put on so it will be about 80.00 for the two powders to be put on. Also, I will be getting the fork lowers and other parts coated but I may do those myself as I have a friend who has a gun for the powder and a small oven.

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
Back together now, hopefully in the right arrangement. Never could find a definative answer so I went with my gut. Anyways, hopefully my last couple of parts will show up this week and I will finally own a running kdx (again).

Top Bottom