85YZRacer

Aug 7, 2006
Hey Guys,
I was thinkin about something. I have a brand new water pump seal for my 85 yz125. I called yamaha here in santa cruz and they said to replace it, it would be $125, i dont know about you but i think a little much for a little water pump seal. Are they trying to rip me off or should i try and do it myself. Would i need a special tool if i do it myself?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
took off the clutch side case, took the water pump cover off, took the impeller off of the shaft, made note of the direction of the outer seal, removed with a screw driver, made note of the inner seal direction, removed with same screw driver...

Reversed process, except instead of a screw driver I used a socket about the same size as the seal to drive them in.. tap slowly and lightly until they seat...

85YZRacer

Aug 7, 2006
hhmm, well, i could have understood wrong but it sounds like your seal was 2 pieces. My seal is one pice, and from the way it looks it can't be taken out with a screw driver. Is there another way?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
errr.. Not sure why it can't be removed with a screw driver.. but hey, things happen...

Mine has an Oil seal and a Water seal.. 2 seals, one shaft...

Not sure what they did in 85...

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
I just did mine a week ago. I work at a mechanics shop so we had all the right tools like seal pullers and drivers, but you could use a screwdriver and socket. The seal was 30 bucks and it was all one piece. It had the water side labelled, which faces outwards. I pulled the seal out and tossed it and then just simpled hammered in the new one. You gotta watch the little retaining spring mine popped out but you can get it back in with some picks Its tricky though, just tap slowly.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom