Water Punp Maintenance

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Does this need to be done? Do they go bad. I wonder if rebuilding this once and a while is a good idea?

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I would only worry about it when it goes out, since the only way to maintenance is to replace parts!

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Thanks! That was my question. Your bike is a few years older than mine. Have you had water pump problems? Can you think of any warning signs before the piston tries to give me a vasectomy?

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I have had 0 problems with mine. A few signs that I can think of... overheating, seal leaks, any obvious breakage. Thats all that I can think of.

WFO

Dec 27, 1999
The most common thing to fail in the water pump is the seals. The way to note this is when you change oil, it will appear milky. My old Kaw had a sight glass on the side which made it even easier. The seals aren't that expensive, and the metal parts of the pump usually don't need replacing unless the shaft of the pump is scored or worn where the new seals won't seat. Pay attention the the way the old seals are facing when you remove them so the new ones can be installed correctly.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…