Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Ahhhh what a beautiful day, sunny, breezy and temps in the mid sixties. Dave and I rolled out of Ames at about 8:00, headed for waterloo, to meet up with motometal, Jake, John, Rich and a few others for a ride.

We met up at moto's place and helped him finish driving a seal into a fork leg, loaded him up and headed to the riding area, which is just a few miles away (nice, huh?)

The area is located on the Cedar River, and is, for the most part, flat. There is a kiddy track at the front, and two moto tracks. I didn't spend much time on the moto tracks, as I was riding the WR. The tracks are nice, with some decent and forgiving jumps, and, of course, a few jumps that made me pucker just looking at them. Motometal and his friends were having a pretty good time on the track, even though they said the wind was making jumping a little dicey.

While the moto guys were running the track, Dave and I headed down to the timber, and I must say, I am going to have a lot of fun on that little WR! It corners really well, the suspension soaks up everything, the brakes are good and seems quite nimble on all conditions. We had mud, hard pack, deep nasty sand, rocks, bricks, and everything in between. The river trails are lots of fun, you can do whatever you want, tight cornering and acceleration/braking sections, to wide open semi-whooped straight aways.

Up from the river trails, and back towards the moto tracks we found some cool tight single track trails, that tested our trials riding skills. They weren't too much fun for Dave on his CR450, because of gearing, but the WR, with that granny low, was nothing but a hoot to balance and shuffle through the willows, rocks and logs.

After that, motometal took us out to some prety well untouched timber, where we weaved in and out of trees, up and down the hillside and just really had no actual course of travel, just messing around. Motometal was tearing around those trees like a deer. That guy is bad fast on any kind of terrain, so is Jake.

We spent the entire day like that, just riding, re-arranging the real estate and haveing a good time in general.

Then it was time for motometal to demonstrate his latest fmx move, which he fondly calls a "no hander, no footer, rear fender grape crusher ".............................OK, so I'm kidding!

I only put the WR on the ground a few times, so now it looks used. You gotta get that out of the way right off, ya know? This week I'll start doing the necessary mods to make it a little better in the power department and set up the suspension a little better.

Fun was had by all, no broken bikes, no broken bones.

Waterloo.............WooooooHooooooo!

Last edited:

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
regarding the tip overs, don't sweat the small stuff! I killed my XR650 then tipped it over trying to play "trials" yesterday...that thing is pretty heavy to pick up, I thought maybe it was caught on something at first. Thank goodness for electric start, eh?

I'm glad to hear you guys had fun, hope you make it again soon and anyone else reading this within driving distance, we'd love to have you too, let me know when you would like to do it...there are also several nice riding areas within a few hours of here.

Next time we could make it a two day deal...if we follow Jake around Saturday night, maybe we could figure out why he always has that glittery sparkley stuff on his nose on Sunday mornings...

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
ahhhh the skills of one motometal. humble as they come. tears thru the pro field and beats world class talent while doing no footers on the mx track. yet he claims to "like" woods better. im tellin ya he is the classic underachiever when it comes to motorcycle skills. if he ever had a mind to, motometal could probably give hawkins, davis, et al a run for their money in the pro woods stuff. and jake has been following the metal for years. they have the music, they have the right bikes(hondas) and most importantly, they have the right beer. just an ole heartland spode givin props to the iowa bunch. see ya in october.

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
what is this place called? and exactly where near Waterloo? Is it public land or private?

may drive over from Galena/Dubuque area

thanks for the info

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Hi Pokie,

Waterloo is a State OHV park, with registration required. You can learn more from the IOHVA site. Unfortunately registration is required to ride any IOHVA parks, which makes it kind of user unfriendly for out of state riders. I am trying my best to keep up with legislation on a possible day pass system.

http://www.iowaohv.com/

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
No registration required on privately owned tracks. Just the places listed on the IOHVA website.

It looks like the only way to get legal registration at this time is to register you in the nearest county to where we would ride. If you guys could make it up on a friday somewhat early, we can get you registered fairly easily. This just sucks with no day or weekend passes..... :| Not the brightest way to attract out of state revenue form off roaders, IMHO.

Last edited:

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
With the link Rooster provided, it looks as though you can do it online for $16 for single or family. not to bad.
What was the daily fee?

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Walt - Where did you see this? Unless I am mistaken, I believe that is only for a membership to the IOHVA. Registration or your bike is with the DNR, and a completely different thing.

There are no daily fees, your registration allows you to ride as often as you want. $26 for two years, per bike.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Actually, if your bike is registered in another state, then you don't need to register it in Iowa as long as you are in the state for less than 20 days.
In the case of my KTM which has a license plate, I would conceder that registered.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
That is correct Layton, however most of the people that I talk to don't have their bikes registered. They are either motocrossers and have no need to register, or living in a state where there is no registration required. This is causing problems with having a group ride here in Iowa. I am getting pretty frustrated with the DNR for not making a weekend pass available to out of state ridiers. The only answer I am getting is that they are working on "legislation" to make that available. Bullcrap. Print up a stack of stickers and make them available for $10 - $15 at any courthouse in Iowa, no title or bill of sale required for the bike. Just slap the sticker on and go for the weekend. Then I could walk in, buy up a half dozen and meet my out of state friends for a ride.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Rooster,

You are also correct. Some states make it a real pain in the *ss to register if you are out of state. MN is as bad as Iowa. Michigan, and Colorado allow you to buy them just about anywhere.

Hey, its time for me to bug you again about the trail ride in MN. You don't need a sticker for this event though you do need a spark arrestor.
Go here for info: http://www.goldeneaglesmc.org/

Top Bottom