waterpump oilseal replacement in an 89

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
has anyone changed out there water pump oil seal? how difficult was it? how long did it take? any special tools needed? is there anything else that i should change besides the seal (part #92049D) while i have it tore down? thanks

Last edited:

procircuit21

Nov 19, 2002
You don't need any special tools. You just have to take the whole right side off (not just the clutch cover the whole thing) Just make sure that the impeller shaft isnt scored up at all. I started getting coolant into my gearbox so I changed the seals only to find out that the impeller shaft was scored up when i tore the whole thing down again. If you have a manual it is no sweat.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Replacing the Waterpump seal is no big deal, just take your time and it will come out right. There should be only one seal on your 89, later models (starting in 95?) had two seals on the shaft. The scoring on the shaft will be very noticeable if it exists.

-Maurice

beefking

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 2002
I think they started with a new seal design in 90 or 91, but you can retro fit it into an 89 no problem, as long as its 94 or earlier. I think they used 2 seals or something? can't remember, but it is better than the older version. :thumb:

Top Bottom