BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/custom_trials.html

And this is an 04 model.

I have this hankering to get an old style bike, and am torn between the Russian built 650cc BMW based machine, and the 500cc Indian Built Royal Enfield - both are classic bikes, and have remained unchanged in design since the fifties. I want one with a side car !

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/custom_whitesidecar1.html

I like the idea of the BMW boxer based URAL, and this bike looks way cool

http://www.imz-ural.com/index.html

http://www.sportriders.com/Articles_Dave/ural/index.cfm

Last edited:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
There is a place down the road from me that sells Enfields. Definetly and old style bike :)

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
I think that you will enjoy the "hankering for" a whole lot more than the "owning of" these bikes.

A newer looking, shiny POS is still a POS.

But don't let me put you off. :laugh:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Last edited:

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Yep, stupid Americans like Kiwi, never understand the true classics!! :) ;)

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Hammers and axes are classic, Urinals are POS.

You'd be as competitive on a wheel barrow and it would be more reliable.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I wonder if they'd allow this in the vintage class ?! ;)

Hey Kiwi - it's an open class bike NO :yeehaw:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Put me in the "I don't get it" column. :) Sure a true classic is most certainly a cool thing, but buying a BRAND NEW bike just to have old out-dated technologies? I say go get a wheel barrow. :laugh:

Then again, can I get one complete with sidecar and machine gun mounted atop the sidecar? :thumb: We could have a new event at DW'04

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by Green Horn
can I get one complete with sidecar and machine gun mounted atop the sidecar? :thumb: We could have a new event at DW'04

They have a British Army replica available with side car - just need to add your gattling gun !!

Green Horn, this bike is like the Russian Ural, it has remained unchanged since 1955 - this is not a replica, it is the same bike they have been making the past 50 years. When the Brits could not keep up with demand for bikes for the Indian Army, they built a factory in India. These bikes are the same as they were in 1955 - pretty cool if you ask me :)

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/123_0010_enfield/index.html

Last edited:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Right!! I understand that it's an unchanged bike. This is why I personally wouldn't want one. Just a new bike with old looks. I am impressed with classics that someone has either taken care of or has taken the time to restore. That's what it takes to impress me. :) To think where a 30-40 yr old bike has been...how many trails it's seen. That's what makes vintage/ classic stuff cool in my book. :)

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
IMO if you must have a sidecar the Ural is the one to go for, I think they were designed with that in mind, the Enfield will struggle a bit with the extra wheel mainly due to the shorter wheelbase, and in any case it would be a waste of what is basically a good design for a solo machine. Best thing is to have both, or mabe a new Ural and look for a Royal Enfield Bullet 350 trials model, which wouldn't lose much on power, looks cool and is fun to ride off road.

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
I think that rifle was a Lee Enfield, probably made by the same company, in the same way as BSA made armaments. ( British Small Arms ). Royal Enfields from the UK go chug-chug-chug, Enfields from India go bud-bud-bud.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
3 inches of travel, spung seat and lot's of LBS .... I'm in heaven! :laugh:

Seriously, it is a nice looking bike.

Alan, maybe we need to all get them and ride MacKenzie! Now that is an idea! Poker run anyone? :p

The fellows that were competitive on these bike were (insert adjective here). :thumb:

WWR

Sponsoring Member
Jul 15, 2000
Hey, Husky (the Swedish manufacturer) started as a riflemaker! Just look at their "gun sight" emblem! I wonder how many others started this way...??

Oh, and I think Royal Enfeld is the company who makes the old-style DIESEL bikes I have seen here in Japan. Yes, not just 4-stroke, it actually runs on diesel!

Last edited:

dirtybkr

Mar 17, 2000
I love this line.

We had an opportunity to ride one of these handsome vintage tidbits courtesy of Royal Enfield's American Distributor, Classic Motorworks. And during our short-term relationship we discovered a couple of things. First, we live more like George Jetson than we think we do. Second, we're pretty happy about that.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Uh huh! Those of us old enough to have ridden some of those piles "in their prime" are more interested in reliving the experience via photos rather than the cold hard reality of experiencing the nostaglia first hand.

Top Bottom