funktree

~SPONSOR~
Jul 21, 2001
Ive been wanting to go for years, Im trying to combine a trip to red bud with a trip to a friends house in Brainerd MN. I have a couple questions. First how far is Buchanon from Brainerd I get about 9.75 to 10 hours on the online map sites, is that accurate? Second do I really need to spend friday and saturday night to get the full experience, or is saturday enough? Third, are the fireworks on the 4th or on fri or sat nights?

Sorry for asking so early. but the only way it'll happen is if I get it all planned now.

Also what is the closest airport to Red Bud?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Red Bud is an awesome time - I hope you can make it! I've been there for the National 6 years and counting and Red's been there around 8-9 years and counting. I'll try to answer your questions...

Brainerd, MN... does your friend ride/race? There is a SWEET track 30 miles west from there in Staples, MN, that I've raced a couple of times. I would love to get back up there one day again! I think 8.5-9.5 hours sounds about right. 2.5 hours to Minneapolis, 4 hours to Madison, 4-5 hours to Red Bud. Just make sure you don't come across from Madison to Red Bud during Chicago rush hour as it can get very ugly... especially the 40 mile stretch across I-80 in Indiana. If you can drive that in the middle of the night... do it!

If you get there by Saturday AM, that should be enough time for the full effect. The only thing that happens Friday is amateur races on the night track but there is no access to the Pro track. The Pros go out for practice on Saturday early afternoon and this is an awesome time to get roosted by guys like RC and Bubba or get some excellent pictures. If you go in the pits, they are pretty empty on Saturday as well. Then Saturday there are also amateur races on the night track. Saturday night used to be a party like you couldn't even imagine but they have really stepped it down over the past 3 years so now it's really tame.

In the past, the fireworks have always been Saturday night only. This year, if I remember right, they had them both Friday and Saturday because Friday was actually the 4th of July. So I'm guessing next year the big fireworks display will only be Saturday night.

The closest airports are South Bend (15 mi.), Midway (100 mi.), Grand Rapids (110 mi.), O'hare (115 mi.), Indy (160 mi.), Detroit (190 mi.). You'll probably have a hard time finding a flight into South Bend or Grand Rapids as they are very small airports, so the two Chicago airports are your best bet (Midway and O'hare).

Hopefully my answers will help ya get started... if you have more questions, just ask!

Also, check out www.redbudmx.com for details on the 2003 Nationals weekend.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
I went to Redbud for my first time this year and will hopefully never miss again. It is awsome, I got there saturday morning and watch the practice and races until 12:00 at night and they were still going on when I left. I think I will camp next year, leaving and coming back is ok, but I think camping will be alot better. You can get really good pics on Saturday, also side note Jeff Stanton is faster on a xr50 them me on a real bike.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Stanton was on an XR70. ;) That would explain the speed.

This was my first year for Redbud, too. I HIGHLY recommend it. Repeat after me: REDBUDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Hey Nikki, about 30 minutes south of Staples on Hwy 10 there is an even better track at the Little Falls Fairgrounds. I kid you not, this track rocks! Staples is ok but he's made some changes since you were there last and most people aren't liking it the way it sounds. You come to MN again and you will love Little Falls, I guarantee it. They also run some SX races on Friday nights on a smaller track there. Excellent facility.

motomatt36

Apr 8, 2002
Ya dude you wont be disapointed no matter what you do. I went there for my first time in 75 (im 38). I have been there almost every year since. We always camped up untill 3 years ago. The party was very intense. I have 2 kids 8 and 12. We started staying in the holiday inn in south bend. If you just go for sunday you should show up at the track way early to stake your claim track side, like about 5:30-6ish. South bend is a 25 minute cruise but it dosnt seem that long. Just remember michigan time and indiana time are 1 hour differant.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by Erick82
You can get really good pics on Saturday, also side note Jeff Stanton is faster on a xr50 them me on a real bike.

Then how humble are we when he rides the CRF 150 and is hitting the big doubles with it? Railing corners and helmet slapping guys as he passes them.

I've beed to Red Bud 4 years straight and also back in the 70's. I'm 48!

Last edited:
Top Bottom