smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
yet another ride with perfect weather. Met up with JimmyD2, Magnus, erac, and squad_3670 around 10 this morning for some wayne national riding. I was elected to lead the group. Got out permits and gas and started out toward the parking area past carbon hill. Arriving there were quite a few people already riding, but we found some space and unloaded without any problems. After gearing up we started riding back towards dorr run via the low line, this is where things start to get interesting. The normal huge ruts and mud were replaced by even larger ruts and mudholes. Myself and squad_3670 became stuck in one, took many minutes of pushing and spinning to get out. To get around some huge mudholes I opted to take off up a rather large hill off to the side of the main trail. Long story short I ate it on the uphill. On the downhill side it was much steeper than I had thought, I took a chicken path while everyone else blazed on down the steep part. Continued on and finished the loop back towards the bridge, erac and squad_3670 had some more difficulties on one hill with a gas line in the middle of it. Decided to take a break for a lunch/bench racing session. Then started back toward new straitsville until we got to some really messed up trail where I again ate it. Turned back around and headed back out for dorr run, but this time taking the high line out to 278. Rode out that way until I got us sufficiently lost and we turned around. Heading back from there Magnus curled the rim on the raptor and had to finish the treck back to the trucks riding on a flat. I had another blonde moment and started up a trail that I should have known the raptor wouldn't make. We had to then lift the massive beast up over a rock ledge to continue on our way. Somewhere along the line squad_3670 had a good crash and did some damage to his foot, possible fracture. All in all it was just a great day, I think everyone was beat by the time we got loaded up. Great ride, good people, and good weather to top it all off, doesn't get much better.

erac

Apr 9, 2001
I agree, it doesn't get much better....Well, maybe it would be better if it were not for the severe case of monkey butt and the 21/2 hr drive home.

Squad_3670

Apr 5, 2001
Re: Wayne National

Amen, Jeff. The day was perfect. All injuries, crashes, and vehicle damage aside, the riding was a blast. We're all praying that Magnus only has wheel damage and nothing more, besides, is there ANYTHING that can truly harm the RAPTOR?

So props out to smb_racing for being our tour guide of Wayne National. We'd have gotten lost for sure without him. It's one of our specialties. I would also like to apologize for whining and b**ching while the raptor was being carried up a hill, but my foot HURT BAD!!! :( It's still swollen and painful but my half-baked medical skills tell me no fracture. I'll have to see how it does tomorrow. It's my own fault for hotdogging behind Magnus on his shattered rim. Somebody smack me if I ever utter the words 'freestyle' or 'mad skills' again. I think maybe I should get a mountain (pedal) bike...

So thanks again smb_racing and let's shoot for Perry County sometime!

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
ah shoot, I forgot to mention Kurt, probably because he's not on DRN. He rode pretty well actually, did he even hit the dirt once? Bill I've got an awesome pic of you wheelie-ing over that big rock, I'll put it up as soon as Tripod starts cooperating :)

JimmyD2

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2000
Thanks Jeff!

Nice ride report and great job at showing us older folks around. ;)

I thought the ride was fantastic and other than the dust, that might have been the most fun trails I've been on. I didn't make it out unscathed however, I woke up to a nice flat front tire this morning. Guys, how do you fix a flat tire? :scream:

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
aww man, these photos do not do that hill justice. Also they aren't really good quality, but that one of bill looks mighty impressive :)
<edit>
man I'm ticked, tripod totally screwed me out of my images, they won't load "remotely" now. I'll have to find another way to do it.

Last edited:

Squad_3670

Apr 5, 2001
Originally posted by smb_racing
aww man, these photos do not do that hill justice. Also they aren't really good quality, but that one of bill looks mighty impressive :)

Are you able to see the look of excruciating pain on my face in the picture?:o

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
alright, I've defeated the dreaded tripod. I had to place them in my student account here at OU. It's terrible that you can't even put photos in free webspace anymore :(
oh well here goes.
Here's Jimmy
As well as Bill
hopefully that worked correctly this time :think

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
You almost have to stay in the rut going up that hill. We found some tighter trails last time I was there. One was at the bottom of that hill by the pond. Was gonna go sat BUT won't have the bike back together.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
what'd you do to your bike now dennis? I'll post another pic tonight of the raptor, I had a dum bass attack and started up over the rock and forgot he was back there, we ended up lifting the raptor over the rock to continue on our way.

70 marlin, the trails aren't all that tight, it's great riding though.

Squad_3670

Apr 5, 2001
In case anyone's interested, I'm able to walk now after 4 days of ice, elevation, and ibuprofen. The foot looks pretty awesome with dual tones of brown and blue. I should put a picture of THAT on the forum.. :)
Aside from leaking the usual 100cc of fork oil, the RMX a.k.a. The Stallion, is in good condition. And yes erac, I finally washed it! I was afraid the dirt and goo were the only things holding it together.
I'm putting my vote in for Perry County on Sun Jul 29, Sun Aug 5, Sat Aug 18, or Sun Aug 19.

erac

Apr 9, 2001
I like the sound of August 5th, the weekend of the the 18th is my parents anniversary.

Squad_3670, good job on cleaning the "Stallion", you wanna come down and clean mine now.

smb_racing, Yea any luck posting the Raptor, I think I'm in that pic.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
ah shoot, forgot all about putting it up. I'll do that after I get home tonight. I have yet to wash my bike, the crud appears to be multipying on my engine cases :eek:

good to hear you can walk again squad_3670, and how about Sunday July 29?
I work every other weekend so that's my off weekend :)

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
here it is guys, I managed to get magnus, erac, and kurt all in the same picture, too bad my camera isn't the greatest. Here goes...
The Raptor.

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
You got to be kidding me. That wimpy raptor could'nt make it up that LITTLE hill? :o When you go to Perry I'll try to attend(not aug 18th will be in Va Beach).

erac

Apr 9, 2001
Dennis, You may not have noticed, but look at the left front tire on the Raptor. The whole rim was crushed the tire was flat the A-arms were bent and so was the steering rack. Also, that picture does not do that hill justice, it was one of, if not, the toughest hill we rode all day. It was stepped up rock with a fine layer of sand on top, all 6 of us had a heck of a time with it.

JimmyD2

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2000
Perfect (Until then...)

Our entire day was PERFECT, until shortly before we made it to the rock hill. Next thing I know we are stopped on the hill, Squad_3670 is crying in pain behind me "are they having a party up there?" - while erac, Curt, and smb_racing are helping Magnus lift the crippled beast over that rock ledge... Looking back, that was pretty great as well... :confused:

el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
Dennis knows well the torment of the rock ledge, he took a few good photos of myself and eric and shaun last time we rode out there. I'm just wondering what Magnus hit to bring down the mighty beast, probably a tree deer or one of those kids on the KX65's :scream: :confused:

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
ARGH

apparently el_pres has been messing with my computer again, I posted that last reply under his name :silly:

Last edited:

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
Hey, I went up that hill!

I saw you guys that day at Wayne, I saw the crushed rim of that Raptor as well. Bad luck. Whenever we go from the Dorr run entrance to the hotdog stand, my buddies always go around that rocky hill(they have a shortcut). Then later that day they led me up to it, got off their quads and bikes and wanted me to go with them and walk up it. I decided to give it a go on my bike, and it wasn't NEAR as bad as they had led me believe. I rode up the left hand side bypassing the mean rock in the middle. I wouldn't want to up that hill on a quad, that's for sure. Then my friend changed his tune, "well it's easy on a bike". hehe. I am not pro trail rider and it was challenging, but I still felt good I did it without hesitation.

So when's the next planned ride at Wayne?

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
well it's kinda up in the air right at the moment. I definitely have to ride somewhere this weekend, I haven't been out in two weeks, I still have the caked on mud from the last ride at wayne on my bike :scream:

Top Bottom