helio

Dec 19, 2001
I started a new procedure after washing my bike...Generally I am using WD-40 to clean dirt from engine and chain but now I am using it in all bearings(wheels, linkage, swingarm) to disperse water and for lubricating.
I think that I am correct in order to eliminate the water that remain after washing and it should be fine to increase the bearing life and their performance.

- Any experience with this ?

PS In Portugal we can ride whole the year (we live in paradise...no SNOW) so it is more confortable extend the bearings lifetime and replace them when necessary instead of disassemble and grease in the winter.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I do the same thing. After every wash I spray WD40 on all moving parts and exposed steel (where paint is worn on pipe and frame). If you happen to have gotten water past the seals and into the bearing during pressure washing the WD40 won't disperse any of that water.

bruce j

Dec 14, 2001
WD-40 is great for displacing water, but it isn't a very good lubricant because most of it evaporates! If you actually get it inside your bearings it can wash out the grease and do more harm than good, so be careful. I agree that it does a good job cleaning and preventing rust.

Bruce

Top Bottom